Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Cloze test

You may request notification for Cloze test.
Search: 

1: Cloze test
01/20/12 09:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The Assessment tool does not have the cloze test. How you can integrate a tool for cloze tests (such as the JCloze of HotPotatoes) or get a similar result in another way?

Thanks.
Edoardo

(From "Lams alla italiana" Forum, by Luca)

Posted by Edoardo Montefusco

2: Re: Cloze test
In response to 1 01/22/12 06:18 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ciao Edoardo,

I'm not familiar with HotPotatoes or JCloze. BUt I have asked Luca if this software can export to an HTML file or something. If that's the case, I think we'll be able to get something integrated.

Does anyone else know HotPotatoes software that we can test?

Thanks,

ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 2 01/22/12 03:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie and ciao Edoardo!
First of all, thank you.
Yes, JCloze exercises can be saved as SCORM 1.2 packages, so it's possible to insert them into a Share Resources Tool as you Ernie said in the other forum. This is a great piece of news for my PhD project :D
But we teachers/monitors just can see if students have seen the resource (and for how many mins+secs). We can not see what they write into it.
So the students will see the HPotatoes exercise, they will do it, they will receive a pop up window with "Congratulations, your score is X%", but we monitors will not see that window :(
Did I miss anything?
Thank you again
Luca

Posted by Luca Policastro

6: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 3 01/23/12 06:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luca,

You are right, the mark is not being sent back to the server and only displayed to the user.

So we would need to have a way to send this to the server and store it in Gradebook as Spyros points out. (see my reply to him in this thread).

Thanks,

ernie

4: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 2 01/23/12 03:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

Hot Potatoes (http://hotpot.uvic.ca/)is freeware and very good!

It is suite is a set of six authoring tools, created by the Research and Development team at the University of Victoria Humanities Computing and Media Centre (http://hotpot.uvic.ca/index.htm#downloads).

Hot Potatoes is actually a software suite comprised of six different programs. The six different programs are referred to as "potatoes," and consist of JBC, JQuiz, JMix, JCross, JCloze, and JMatch, with each name referring to the type of exercise the module creates.

See a review: http://llt.msu.edu/vol5num2/review3/default.html

It can export to an HTML file.

I have used already with LAMS. You can use "Add Single File" (eg. a crossword1.htm file) and it works very well.

The only problem is that you see "Your score is 68%" but does not recorded in Gradebook.

Could we do something about it? This would be very useful.

Thanks,

Spyros

Posted by Spyros Papadakis

5: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 4 01/23/12 06:03 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Spyros,

Thanks for the intro to Hot Potatoes.

I did download the software and created a little "fill the gap" page and exported it as HTML.

It worked well.

As you say, it will be good to have the marks be sent directly to gradebook. I'll create a development task to explore the option of having a Hot Potatoes activity within LAMS.

If anyone else has an interest for us to develop this, please let us know as that will bring its priority higher in the list.

Thanks,

Ernie

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 5 01/25/12 04:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi everybody
Thank you very much Ernie for the development. Having a cloze test within Lams (by a HP integrations or not) would be very useful, and not only for language teaching activities...
To Spyros: so we can add a HPotatoes file in Share Resources:
a) as a htm file, using "Add single file"
b) as a zip file, using "Add IMS Content Package"
In both cases we can't see in the gradebook students' results. But when you write in this thread:
"YOU can see 'Your score is 68%'" with YOU do you mean the monitor or the student? I made several tests but as a monitor I couldn't see it.
Thank you again
Luca

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 8 01/26/12 01:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luca,

No, I don't think the monitor will be able to see the results as these are only display to learners.

In order for us to pass the mark from the learner to monitor, we probably need to do some changes in the way this is handled. Perhaps implement a Hot Potato tool in LAMS.

We'll be looking into this after our next release LAMS 2.4.

Thanks,

Ernie

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 9 01/27/12 03:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie
Ok, thank you! In case you need a beta tester for this tool please let me know ;)
Ciao
Luca

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 9 06/07/12 04:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi everybody
Just a small "post scriptum" for who is interested in HotPotatoes-like cloze test activities: at the moment the best way to do something similar is using Short Answer question in an Assessment activity. As you can see in the attachment, the result is not very nice, but at least it works.
Thanks
Luca

Attachments:
12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cloze test
In response to 11 06/07/12 05:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Very well, Luca: I think the result is really good.
Pending developments, I want to use Cloze Test via Short Answer.

Thanks
Edoardo

Posted by Edoardo Montefusco

7: Re: Cloze test
In response to 1 01/23/12 06:15 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fellows,

Here's the development task for this:

http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2785

Thanks,

Ernie

13: Re: Cloze test
In response to 1 06/07/12 05:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hey guys - excellent idea! I've been using multiple questions tool and images as guided cloze activities for 5-7 year olds. How do i add an attachment?

Posted by Robin Ohia

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum