Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.4 coming up!

You may request notification for LAMS 2.4 coming up!.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.4 coming up!
02/29/12 08:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Everyone,

I've been meaning to do this announcement for such a long time! :-)

As you might noticed, we've been working on this release quite hard in the past few months. We are almost done (less than 20 development tasks to go!).

So if everything goes alright, we should have LAMS 2.4 ready by the end of this month (March!).

Now, there's a ton of features in this release. However for the sake of summarising them, the following list compiles probably the most relevant. Each of these links shows a description or animation of the feature, so please have a look to see how they are implemented.

LAMS 2.4 Key Features list

For teachers

Conditional lesson release

When creating a lesson teachers can specify if another previous lesson must be completed before the lesson is available for students. Once the learners complete the pre-requisite lesson(s), then the lesson becomes available.

Scheduled and instant notifications

A very powerful new feature that enhance LAMS tracking and communication capabilities.

Date restrictions for lessons

Specify restrictions to finish lessons by certain deadlines.

Mobile devices support for learners

When a learner uses a mobile device (like iPhone, iPad, mobile phone) to access a lesson, LAMS automatically detects it and switches to a non-flash interface. Additionally for the most frequently used tools, it will display a mobile friendly interface.

Faster Gradebook excel exports

Now teachers can download gradebooks for an entire course or specifically for a subgroup.

Date restrictions on activities

For each activity teachers can specify a date for completion. Past this deadline, students cannot longer view or participate in the activity (although they can complete it).

Ratings for Q&A and Forum

Learners can now rate each other answers and postings.

Assessment now implements Question bank

A much needed feature that provides flexibility to create exams. Now teachers can export and import their questions into any assessment activity and specifically select which questions to be used.

Webcam profile picture upload

Directly from a webcam upload your profile picture.

Newer, faster online HTML Editor

A new and quicker version of Online HTML Editor with tons of improvements and easier to use.

For admins

New Moodle2 integration module

As Moodle2 has become stable, we have rewritten our integration to use all of the features of this new version of Moodle. Demo site available.

Overall server statistics

General and course specific statistics about a LAMS server.

Clone courses

Want to move all the lessons to a new semester course automatically? Just use this feature in the sysadmin menu and it makes it in just a few clicks.

New Tools

Improvements

• Integration improvements (images, bulk user creation, etc)
  • Improvements for faster forum, assessment and Q&A
  • New optional signup module
  • New fonts in online HTML editors
  • New formulae editor
  • Better timezone support

Technical improvement

And over 400 fixes and improvements, see LAMS 2.4 Release Notes for full details.

We'll be upgrading some of our demo servers shortly so you can have a play with it.

Looking forward to hear your comments.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 2.4 coming up!
In response to 1 02/29/12 11:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I just want to acknowledge what an awesome job Ernie and the technical team have done on this upcoming release - well done! Thanks also to all the others behind the scenes who have helped support this work - much appreciated!

LAMS 2.4 has many amazing new features - and some of these open up whole new ways of thinking about LAMS. In particular, the new features for notification of progress through sequences, together with conditional sequence release, allow us to start thinking about "families of sequences" on closely-related topics.

This expands the potential of LAMS from being just about individual "classes" or "lessons" towards also being about "sequences of sequences" (or sometimes a set of different pathways through a family of sequences). This broader view can contribute towards recent work on "Curriculum Design" goals (such as the Viewpoints and OULDI projects), which can helps see LAMS is a wider contexts than just designing for a single class.

I believe there is much more to explore in this bigger picture, and LAMS will continue to evolve in the future to fully exploit this. I think it marks a significant new stage in the evolution of LAMS as a platform. For me, the idea of "families of sequences" has already changed some of the ways I approach LAMS authoring.

Posted by James Dalziel

3: Re: LAMS 2.4 coming up!
In response to 1 04/11/12 01:29 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thank you very much for your hard work!
Please tell me if there is a release date already?
Best regards,
Alexander

Posted by Alex Lifanov

4: Re: Re: LAMS 2.4 coming up!
In response to 3 04/11/12 08:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alex,

If all the stars aligned properly, most likely, we'll have the installers and the 2.4 released on Friday! ;-)

ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum