Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Time taken shown in Gradebook

You may request notification for Time taken shown in Gradebook.
Search: 

1: Time taken shown in Gradebook
05/31/12 02:07 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi everybody
A question for you. The gradebook (v. 2.3.5) displays time taken by a student Joe to complete an activity. But once Joe has moved ahead into the sequence, he can always go back and see the activity (even if he can't edit it, if it has been submitted): in this case, how could the monitor (and the gradebook) see Joe's movements? It's impossible, isn't it?
Thank you!
Ciao
Luca

Posted by Luca Policastro

2: Re: Time taken shown in Gradebook
In response to 1 06/02/12 10:36 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
(Of course, if you have access to the server folders you can see the logs there... but if you can't...?)

4: Re: Re: Time taken shown in Gradebook
In response to 2 06/03/12 05:42 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luca,

Some activities might tell you when an student has done something.

For instance, a forum posting will always have the posting time. Same goes for answers in Q&A, MCQ and Assessment.

You could use these times to calculate student times perhaps?

Are you looking at one particular activity?

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: Re: Time taken shown in Gradebook
In response to 4 06/04/12 01:57 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ciao Ernie, and thank you.
I'm not looking at a particular activity, I just would monitor when, after pressing 'finish' button for some activities (eg, assessment tools or noticeboards, which I will set as "one attempt activities"), a student thinks the sequence is not well built or well organized and wants to come back to a previous activity. But, after what you have written, except for a final students questionnaire, there's no answer for this inside LAMS gradebook or monitor.
So (no) problem, I'll learn to read server log files... :O
Thanks a lot Ernie
Ciao ;)
Luca

3: Re: Time taken shown in Gradebook
In response to 1 06/03/12 05:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luca,

Sorry for taking a bit to get back to you on this. But I had to do some test to check on this.

The time spent on an activity is calculated from the time the user starts the activity until it finishes it (presses the "Next activity" button).

After, if the student comes back the time he spends in the activity does not get recorded as the activity has already been set as "completed"

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum