Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: A bit lost

You may request notification for A bit lost.
Search: 

1: A bit lost
09/28/05 11:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
OK Ernie,

You'll have to have a little patience with me. I've created a sample activity called 'Dialects vs. Languages" (I guess you know what I'm talking about since I see you as a student engaged in that sequence). I've accessed LAMS in monitor mode and when I click on the 'learners' tab and then click on 'Q & A' I get the following message:

"At this stage the question has not been finalised – it will be available once the teacher completes the question text. Once the question is completed by the teacher, click on the resume button (top left) to refresh the page and show the question."

I don't really understand what this means. I'm the teacher that created this sequence and, as far as I know, I did complete the question text.

What's worse. I don't see any way to reedit the activity so that I can "complete the question text". When I click on 'Update this LAMS activity', I get a message saying 'You can only update the name and introduction'. So, I have no way to fix whatever problem there is with the finalisation of the question.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

2: Re: A bit lost
In response to 1 09/28/05 06:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]

Hola Josep,

You'll have to have a little patience with me.

No worries :-)

I've created a sample activity called 'Dialects vs. Languages" (I guess you know what I'm talking about since I see you as a student engaged in that sequence). I've accessed LAMS in monitor mode and when I click on the 'learners' tab and then click on 'Q & A' I get the following message:
"At this stage the question has not been finalised ? it will be available once the teacher completes the question text. Once the question is completed by the teacher, click on the resume button (top left) to refresh the page and show the question."

Well, it seems that you had clicked on the "Define in Monitor" option when authoring your Q&A activity.

The "Define in Monitor" option will allow you to change the content of that activity once the sequences is running. That is: you'll be able to change the questions for the Q&A while the class is running.

Because you (as a teacher) are meant to modify the activity *before* your students get there, LAMS sets a stop point before the students can enter the activity, telling them that the teacher has not yet define the questions to be answered and holds them there until you do that.

You might remember the conversations we have in the Moodle Forum about changing learning designs on the fly. Although in this version of LAMS you can't modify the activities you have while the students are using the sequence, this "Define in Monitor" option allows you to change the content of the activity.

This has proved to be quite helpful for teachers that aren't very sure what the level of knowledge their students (audience) and having the option to modify their content is quite handy.

What's worse. I don't see any way to reedit the activity so that I can "complete the question text".

Click on the Moodle activity you created and click on "Open LAMS Monitor". Then select the sequence, and once that is selected, click on the "Sequence" tab on the top of the screen. There, you will see the nice outline of the activities. Double-click on the Q&A activity that you set up as "Define in Monitor" and then click on the "Contribute button". There you will see the form to complete the question.

You might want to have a quick look at the Teachers's Guide as it might show you some of the more advanced features you can use in LAMS.

Thanks for your comments. I'll address your other questions shortly.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: A bit lost
In response to 1 09/29/05 10:01 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks Ernie,

Actually, I don't remember whether I chose "define in monitor", but obviously this is what I must have done. Unfortunately, I deleted the learning sequence that was giving me trouble, hence I cannot try the solution you suggest to "complete the question text". I'll have to create another one in the same way.

Josep M.

Posted by Josep M. Fontana

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum