Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE

You may request notification for MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE.
Search: 

1: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
01/13/09 06:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Even though the FCK Editor is on the whole fairly easy to use, this short paper will look at the following more challenging areas: section 1.1 (inserting Google Gadgets), section 1.2 (inserting Images with the FCK Editor), section 1.3 (more advanced insertion of URLs), section 1.4 (more aesthetic presentation of WebPages in LAMS), section 1.5 (tabular embedding of YouTube films), section 1.6 (converting videos of teacher speaking (vodcasts) for flvPlayer use in LAMs).

http://www.englishlab.intercol.edu/papers/FCK%20Editor.%20Advanced%20Codes.doc

Posted by Chris Alexander

2: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 1 01/13/09 03:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Chris,

This is really good. Would you mind if we add it to our wiki documentation?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

8: Re: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 2 01/16/09 12:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The FCKEditor page is up and running, with more sections to be added soon.

The URL is http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Using+the+FCKEditor

Posted by Jeremy Page

3: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 1 01/14/09 03:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie

Sure you can!

Best

Chris

Posted by Chris Alexander

4: Re: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 3 01/14/09 03:02 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks Chris.

Just to let you know, we are looking into different fckeditor plugins to be added to LAMS. Just like the plugin that allows you to play videos in all LAMS activities, we would like to get a:

* Mathematical equation editor bases on Latex (requested by Paul Gagnon)
* A video recording option, so teachers can record videos with their webcams directly into the fckeditor.

There are a whole bunch of available plugins that we can potentially use.

So please let us know if you think any of this is of interest or if it doesn't exists, give us your wish list for one!

Thanks,

Ernie

5: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 1 01/15/09 03:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I work for Nanyang Technological University where 70% of the courses are run under the College of Engineering. To this point in our development phases one of the more pressing issues with respect to acceptance of technology by math and science and engineering faculty remains to have the Latex Editor inserted within the FCK--interesting word that.:-)

Once this is done, we feel we may have much greater success in having these mathematical/scientific community members feeling more comfortable about having their students responding easily and quickly in the language particular to their commerce.

With respect to having the web camera recording and automatic insertion within the editor, that would be a very compelling pedagogical application to facilitate student engagement. We have developed our own version of You Tube --before they came along I might add- called uRecord, but it needs one to embed the code -- something not all professors will find easy. There also remains the business of scalability once that is done, i.e., how would you support the streaming to 200 concurrent users.

I think we need to also consider improving the way that the FCK editor accepts html code developed in say, Dreamweaver. We are finding that there is not an exact translation of the code, especially with respect to Fonts and Font sizes, i.e., once you change the font within the FCK editor (I'm talking about LAMS 2.1) it looks correct at the editor view, but upon Preview the changes don't take. This is a hassle when one is trying to make use of the rapid content
development affordances of LAMS.

Paul

Posted by Paul Gagnon

6: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 5 01/15/09 11:51 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Paul,

The Latex editor is coming. As soon, I have seen that these fckeditor guys have a plugin that supports it but it runs in another programming language and we would need to turn that into ours (java).

> within the FCK--interesting word that :-)

Here's a little funny trivia about this... the name comes originally from the initials of the founder of the project (Frederico Caldeira Knabben), but given that it sounds/look a bit funny they had a voting in their community and their newer version will be called ckeditor instead ;-)

About video scalability, there are some solutions for this like FLV files instead of streaming the videos to the users. That'll make it a lot more robust. We'll looking into some of that for this. Paul Georges (your compatriot in our team) is currently looking into this.

Regarding pasting code directly from Dreamweaver, you can directly use Share Resources to do that. As a matter of fact, you can design an *entire* website in Dreamweaver and then zip it and upload it as as website into Share Resources and it would play *just* like it looks in Dreamweaver.

Once again Paul, thanks again for contributing and we'll keep you posted on the new developments.

Cheers,

Ernie

7: Re: MORE ADVANCED FCK EDITOR USE
In response to 1 01/16/09 12:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
BTW, I have added a page on an new plugin for the fckeditor that can allow teachers to chat/talk/video with the teacher when they are doing their activities using Skype.

This can be very useful if the students need further assistance and also good for the teacher to provide instantaneous feedback and support.

All the details are here: FKCEditor Skype Plugin for LAMS.

Very easy to install and use!

Enjoy!

Ernie

PS: More coming shortly...

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum