Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?

You may request notification for Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?.
Search: 

1: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?
05/03/10 02:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
1) Is it possible to share authoring of a course with other users. I mean the same source in the same spot (not a copy) ?
I bang my head against this problem (or maybe I am blind not doing any LAMS for a while ...)

We need this for two reasons:
* Would like 2-3 students work on a same sequence (I am talking about students who learn how to author LAMS)
* We would like to monitor what they do (without "log in as other authors" which is something admins can do ....

2) Fallback would be to use the public folder that only can be seen in the authoring tool. Btw. as an author I don't see my "public" sequences in My profile->All my lessons (roughly, I am looking at the french interface). Would be nice to have a pointer there.

cheers and thanx :) - Daniel

BTW: I am still thinking that "groups" ought to be improved. A 2 levels-only structure is ok for a small server like ours, but must lead to quite a mess on a big one.....

Posted by Daniel Schneider

2: Re: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?
In response to 1 05/04/10 08:10 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Salut Daniel,

> 1) Is it possible to share authoring of a course with other users. I mean the
> same source in the same spot (not a copy) ?

Each LAMS course has a Group in Author (see pict attached). All Author for these course have access to this folder. So if you want to share authoring, you can put sequences in this course folder and all other authors within this course will be able to use this.

Using the public folder can be a bit risky as public is for *any* author in the LAMS server has access to sequences in that folder.

> BTW: I am still thinking that "groups" ought to be improved. A 2 levels-only
> structure is ok for a small server like ours, but must lead to quite a mess on a
> big one...

Completely agree. That's one of the things I really want to fix for future release. Even we need to fix the terminology as we currently have Course = Group and that creates a lot of confusion!

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?
In response to 2 05/04/10 08:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Oooppps... forgot to attach the pic. Here it is.

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: Re: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?
In response to 3 05/05/10 07:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanx yes didn't see this.

Probably I am always a bit confused with my multiple logins. And indeed even the admin needs to be given rights through the group management tool before he can save as an author.

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Share authoring permissions with other authors - Pointers to public folder stuff ?
In response to 4 05/05/10 07:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Oops I was too quick. No it does not work IMHO.
But the case was a bit different (I actually was helping out a colleague who's students have to create LAMS sequences in a course about distance teaching).

1. We create a group
2. Inside the group we create sub-groups, one for each "teacher". Each should have access to each, and also other persons, e.g. the admin should. We gave the necessary permissions IMHO

Can't access subgroups, that was the problem. Picture attached :)

- cheers ! -Daniel

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum