Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: unset DISPLAY in startup script

You may request notification for unset DISPLAY in startup script.
Search: 

1: unset DISPLAY in startup script
05/07/10 10:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Today I wanted to add a picture to my profile and got a JAVA error.

Reason is that I usually log in to the unix server like this:
ssh lams_server_machine -l root -XY

That will set DISPLAY and allows me to run emacs in GUI mode on the server and to enjoy mouse and buttons on my client machine (e.g. Ubuntu or Windows with an X server).

Now JAVA somehow does seem to look at this variable when it does image processing. Don't know if this should be fixed in the Java code, or just by changing the startup scripts.

- cheers ! - Daniel
PS: Got my image uploaded after I logged in without the -XY switch and restarted LAMS

2010-05-07 16:41:01,175 INFO [org.quartz.core.JobRunShell] Job DEFAULT.Resend Messages Job threw a JobExecutionException:
org.quartz.JobExecutionException
at org.lamsfoundation.lams.events.ResendMessagesJob.executeInternal(ResendMessagesJob.java:69)
at org.springframework.scheduling.quartz.QuartzJobBean.execute(QuartzJobBean.java:90)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:203)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:520)
2010-05-07 17:37:51,930 INFO [org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesRequestProcessor] Tiles definition factory found for request processor ''.
2010-05-07 17:39:48,782 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/lams].[action]] Servlet.service() for servlet action threw exception
java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using 'localhost:10.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum