Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: One more problem with scorm cources developming

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: One more problem with scorm cources developming
In response to 4 07/07/10 06:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Sorry for being a bit off topic here ...

I just would like to reiterate my concerns with focus on SCORM. Since the LAMS project has limited resources like every other project (including commercial ones), I suggest to put all energy into improving the learning design features, in particular find ways for being able to insert multiple access to writing tools like a single wiki within the same sequence (as opposed to pointing at support activities).

Let's have a look at Moodle: It once was (and still is) marketed as constructivist system. A good constructivist system ought to have many good constructivist tools (official Moodle distro has none) and even simple ones like a wiki or a file repository (both are unusable in Moodle 1.9x). Investing into things like permissions (hundreds), SCORM etc. turned Moodle into just another LMS (and which is just a bit slower than most), i.e. it Moodle became less and less interesting because somehow the original metaphor was lost....

SCORM 1.2. is a US army standard for low level facts and skills learning and such it does the job, but I frankly don't see the necessity to have this in LAMS, a simple IMS CP is good enough if someone wants to import a menu of webpages in some standard format. Now of course there is SCORM 2004, something that academics seem to ignore. If there are resources for developing SCORM stuff then it should be this (including SS and QTI support), but then LAMS has it's own sequencing and testing. Therefore, if standards compliance is an issue, I'd rather vote for some kind of IMS LD export/import (though mapping to tools would be major head ache).

Anyhow, more importantly my questions is: should LAMS evolve into just another LMS (students staring at pages and doing quizzes) or should not improved support for activity-based learning be THE design priority ??

Daniel :)

Posted by Daniel Schneider

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One more problem with scorm cources developming
In response to 5 07/12/10 07:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
HI Daniel,

Sorry for the delay in responding... seriously, I've been very busy lately. Cool new things coming up, but lots and lots of work to get done.

I share your concern about SCORM and LAMS.

As a matter of fact, I coded an implementation of SCORM for the .LRN platform as part of my master thesis and I thought it was cool until James showed me LAMS :-)

The general agreement is that LAMS is definitely not an LMS and shouldn't be concern trying to be one. We are focus on workflow and sequencing stuff as that's our forte.

Nevertheless, if a nice and neat SCORM player written in Java comes along, it wouldn't hurt to add it as a tool but we won't be writing one from scratch anytime soon.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: One more problem with scorm cources developming
In response to 7 07/12/10 09:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Good to hear (both priorities and cool things to come)

Actually I was just making sure that my voice is also up and playing once in a while :)

Btw I started looking at stuff that is currently hot in business process modeling (e.g. BPMN 2.0) and e-science. Workflow is the cool thing to do ... all over the place;)

Posted by Daniel Schneider

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum