Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?

You may request notification for Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?.
Search: 

1: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
02/09/11 02:17 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
A teacher using LAMS found the following problem:

a) For certain questions, when a user resubmits an answer with un unticked item, the item remains ticked.

b) There is renumbering problem with a multi-page setup.

I tried to find this in bug database, but didn't see anything.

Now: Did you by any chance find such a bug and is there a new *.war ? Otherwise, since this difficult to reproduce in a small file, can I send you the large file or put it somewhere on our server.
Of course I also would add a description of what hurts.

I do suspect a localization-related problem. There were apostrophes in question and/or respons item labels. A typical JS/AS programmer's error maybe....

l'orge est un nom masculin

Note: This the first time a real teacher that we trained uses LAMS for real, so I am quite determined to help her.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

2: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 1 02/10/11 06:34 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

thanks for bringing these problems up.

and it seems I managed to replicate first problem you described.
(http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2641)
and i think i'll fix it today.

talking about 2nd issue:
I can't replicate it.
so may be you can upload that file right here as an attachment or just describe the problem in details?

Thank you,

Posted by Andrey Balan

4: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 2 02/10/11 11:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Cool that you look into this quickly:

I attached a file that shows the questions being renumbered bug.

* User clicks on submit all
* Then resubmits

Sometimes questions now a different number (which makes it difficult for the student to find the right questions)

Btw: and this is an ergonomics issue: It's not clear what "Finish" and "Submit All" means .... labels probably should be longer, to express the following.

"Submit All and be done with the whole thing"
"Submit All and get a chance to redo"

5: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 4 02/10/11 11:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Attached the file now (I had to manually remove stuff in the zip ... was to big as told in a new post a few minutes ago)

Attachments:
7: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 4 02/13/11 09:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hey Daniel,

Thanks for providing us with additional details.

And I raised a new Jira for that problem (http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2643). However I'm not 100% sure if it's exactly the same problem you've described. Can you please confirm this?

Thanks again,

Posted by Andrey Balan

10: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 4 02/13/11 10:09 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I just wanted to add:
you might have noticed questions are being renumbered due to "Shuffle questions" parameter was activated in author on advanced tab for that learning design.

Posted by Andrey Balan

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 10 02/13/11 10:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes absolutly :)
but the teacher want's the questions NUMBERS to remain stable. Else she thinks that students will be too much confused (if they take writing down the Q numbers)

... don't know if that is bug or should be considered as feature.

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 12 02/13/11 10:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Numbers remain stable if you're going back and forth between answering and seeing the results. They are changed though if you refresh the page in a browser.

So yeah, that's a feature for now. but I understand what you mean, you want questions being shuffled but at the same time keep the question numbers. I'll talk to Ernie and see what he says

Posted by Andrey Balan

15: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 4 02/16/11 07:13 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Daniel,

> Btw: and this is an ergonomics issue: It's not clear what "Finish" and "Submit
> All" means .... labels probably should be longer, to express the following.

I'm starting to think that for the sake of simplicity, we could have only one button rather than two.

If we keep one button it will be less confusing to students.

Also, the button that I would choose to keep is the one that gives you the option of redo. That way if the student wants to make changes, he/she can... if not it's just one more click to continue to the next activity anyway.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

16: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 15 02/16/11 07:17 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yeah I agree with you. One is enough :)

17: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 16 02/16/11 07:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
18: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 15 02/16/11 02:15 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
We have the same problem.
Students confuses with Submit and Finish and most of them did not click on "Submit" button.

I suggest we keep only one with the label "Submit & Finish" or "Finish" or "Next Activity"

In my opinion generally is better to be "Next Activity" and only if is the last activity of a sequence to be "Finish" (in all the activities not only in Survey)

We can have a "Redo" or "Change" button if a student wants to make changes. If he or she does not want to make any changes he/she click on Finish or Next Activity.

Posted by Spyros Papadakis

3: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 2 02/10/11 12:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanx for looking into it. I already requested the file from the teacher. Btw. as a LAMS admin, I find it *VERY* difficult to find squences, in particular if the person uses it through Moodle ;)

I attached a version below plus a picture

Attachments:
6: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 3 02/10/11 12:12 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
... yeah and you really should allow people to edit posts (at least for 5 minutes, the previous one is junk from a browser tab left open. IGNORE, except the picture

Anyhow my teacher found a * NEW * bug. The picture attached in the previous message shows the problem. The reording question doesn't work. I.e. in a question with four items, students gets 4/4 for only one correct position.

Attached also a LAMS sequence - with heavy zombie Flash files removed ;)

Attachments:
8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 6 02/13/11 09:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Here you go a new one http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2644.
I should admit your teacher is being very attentive person as these bugs were in the system for quite a long time without being noticed.
We'll fix them shortly

Thank you,

Posted by Andrey Balan

25: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 3 02/23/11 03:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> Btw. as a LAMS admin, I find it *VERY* difficult to find squences, in particular if the person uses it through Moodle ;)

One of the things you can do is login as sysadmin in LAMS. Then go to the sysadmin menu, click on "Find users", and search the user by their name. Once you find it click on "Login as.." and bang! you'll become that person. Then you can go to Author and get ahold of their sequence.

Thanks,

Ernie

11: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 2 02/13/11 10:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
If I understand right, you fixed the checkbox bug (unchecked items being kept and ticks appearing out of nowwhere).

If so, would you mind:
* testing it against the latest test file (cereales-legumineuses-bugs1-19-21-22-23-survey-only.zip) referend to in a more recent post (feb 13 also)
* Releasing a war file that I could plug into our LAMS ?

9: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 1 02/13/11 09:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I had a look at the three bug descriptions and it seems to me that they describe the problem. Thanx for looking into this multi-bug problem :)

On Friday I actually got a new mail from the teacher describing the problems. I asked her to stick to one single file instead of trying to do changes to the response items and so forth. Below is a quickly made translation from french and attached the test file that fits (I removed all other elements plus ripped the media from the zip).

It appears that the most horrible bug to fix (items being checked automatically and unchecked items being counted as checked) is an intermittent problem :( I also tried to help her, i.e. find some workaround and found the same issue. This problem can't be reproduced in a simple consistent way.

YOU REALLY have to play with it over and over, try several submission, and maybe even restart the sequence

I got the hypothesis that it may have something to do with reading strings from the DB that still include on of 3-4 different variants of quotes that one could type in french. Another hypothesis may be browsers trying to be smart ?

----- teacher message -----

Test file: cereales-legumineuses-bugs1-19-21-22-23-survey-only.zip

* If we submit the questionnaire blank, there should not be any points (you must look at the marks for each question because the total is badly configured, it has 4 points, so that everything is false, I not changed that before a final version).

* Sometimes ticks appear spontaneously, this was the case for questions 21 and 22. Sometimes they appear after the second or third resubmission when I was working on other issues with bugs.

Issue by issue (with reference to questions in a test file)

1. La balle :

Est la partie centrale d'un grain de céréales -25%
Est indigeste +50%
Est riche en amidon -25%
Est l'enveloppe la plus externe d'un grain de céréale +50%

A wrong answer reappeared when it was removed. Today it worked again, difficult to understand ...

19. l'orge
le sirop d'orgeat est du sirop issu de la fleur de l'orge
le malt est de l'orge germé et séché
le malt est de l'orge additionné de cacao
l'orge est un nom masculin
sous forme de malt et avec le houblon, sont les ingrédients de base nécessaire à la fabrication de la bière
ne contient pas de gluten

The false answers remain at a resubmission, sometimes one, sometimes two.

21 and 22

as indicated above responses appear when you have nothing checked, it seems to me that is happens after several resubmissions

It is a problem that my assistant had seen, I never have seen it until today (when the problem disappeared from question 1 .....

Question sorting problem already described

Attachments:
14: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 9 02/13/11 01:38 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
* If we submit the questionnaire blank, there should not be any points (you must look at the marks for each question because the total is badly configured, it has 4 points, so that everything is false, I not changed that before a final version).

You're getting 4 points in total as that's the mark you've got in ordering question.
So that's ordering question's problem.

* Sometimes ticks appear spontaneously, this was the case for questions 21 and 22. Sometimes they appear after the second or third resubmission when I was working on other issues with bugs.

that was fixed under http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2645.
all of these errors were affected by the ordering question problem.
except for 1, which I wasn't able to replicate. hopefully, it's been fixed too

Thanks,

Posted by Andrey Balan

19: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 1 02/21/11 05:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi guys,

would it be possible to get a *.war file with the fixes or do I have to get the files from a repository and compile myself ?

I think I lost the teacher since she tried the sequence in class and students couldn't get past the gate after completing the questionnaire :( .... but maybe I can recover.

Also her students seem to say that the questionnaire doesn't display fully sometimes. Did you already meet this problem ?
Could it be a server problem ? (Log files don't have any out of memory errors as far as I can tell ... but its not the fastest server we got)
Or could it be a Flash client-side problem ?
Networking ?

- greetings ! - Daniel

20: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 19 02/21/11 05:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

I'll talk to Andrey to give you the files you will need to patch your server for this survey bugs.

Also, I'll be creating a new page on the wiki for these type of patches so other people can use them as well.

Thanks,

Ernie

22: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 20 02/21/11 09:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Cool thanx :)

21: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 19 02/21/11 10:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

I have created this Patches page on the wiki. See the Assessment patch for 2.3.5.

http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Patches

Here are the basic steps:

1) Stop LAMS,
2) Do a backup (just in case)
3) make sure the backup is good (all the steps have been finished properly)
4) Download the
5) Unzip the patch on the lams.ear directory.
6) Restart LAMS and you should be good.

Thanks,

Ernie

23: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 21 02/21/11 11:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Andrey just noticed that I had inverted the patch links... the patch that fixed assessment was on the learning patch row! :-s

It's all fixe now. Sorry about that and Thanks Andrey for pick this up!

24: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 23 02/22/11 09:56 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanx a lot, I managed to installed them w/o problems :)
... took the good version I think.

Anyhow, the latest crazy bug we got are response items that disappear, i.e. only one item shows up instead of 3 or 4 for several questions (Q7-Q21), *after* a bunch of students did use the survey. In the beginning, all items did show (and only some computations were wrong).

So this happened on Sunday and Yesterday, i.e. BEFORE I applied the patch today. In case this is related to the bugs that are fixed now you can ignore this message, else I'll be back with more details .... ;)

26: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Survey bug in LAMS 2.3.5 ?
In response to 24 02/23/11 03:50 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
>BEFORE I applied the patch today

It should be fixed, but if it crops up again, please let us know.

Thanks,

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum