Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button

Search: 

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 4 03/09/11 04:02 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,

I think this is a very interesting discussion about the functionality of LAMS!

I can answer in your question direct:
To keep the same behavior as with the double click it will open in a separate window.

But, another question has raised. If you are in the pop-up window (with an activity you've done) and you click on "Next Activity" or on "Previous Activity" button the pop-up windows closes (like now) or it is possible to move on or to move back (remaining on this window) until to reach the first or the previous of the current activity.
In this case if you are in the previous of the current activity and you click on the Next Activity button the pop-up window will close.

Another Discussion is ...
If we want to change the current LAMS functionality we could to keep all interactions in the same window and to open a pop-up window only for supporting activities.

This means that when you re-open an activity you've done it is open in the same window and you could move in a previous or in a next activity.

Thanks

Spyros

Posted by Spyros Papadakis

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 5 03/09/11 05:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I find these issues very tricky. The goal (in abstract terms) is to add functionality to navigation without risking that the user will destroy current work and/or get lost.

Generally speaking, I believe that it's always good to keep all interactions in the same window (in particular if browser windows are since they can "disappear" in the task bar). But power users will hate that.
On a side note: In order to avoid data loss, the "previous activity" button should have a confirm popup dialog.

I also like the distinction between looking at prior stuff and doing some activity. "Looking at" should rather just open a popup, since its data may be used for the current learning activity. But then, how could we figure out if the just wants to look or also edit (have a navigation popup with choices ?)

It gets trickier for activities where support activities (e.g. a wiki) plays an important role. Wiki can be both a writing and reading tool...

I guess I am confused, and the only half baked ideas I have for now are:
* redesign the progress bar to the left, i.e. make buttons visually more button-like (roll-overs) and maybe open a menu on each that let's the user decide what he wants to do.
* Implement tabs within LAMS ? Within each open tab, the user should quickly understand what he can do currently, i.e is he/she in the current/latest task, can s/he should look at prior work, is it prior work and can s/he re-edit....

Posted by Daniel Schneider

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Previous Activity or the image of a Left Arrow Button
In response to 5 03/09/11 09:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think from the learner's perspective having a separate window to refer back or add to previous activities (ie a chat, forum, vote, quiz etc) while being able to access current sequence position is preferable to having one window. Maybe one window from a programming reliability standpoint is better, but from a learning standpoint two windows makes more sense.

Moreover, as LAMS currently allows students to go backwards and make changes to previous activities in a separate window, why not leave it as is, but just add suitably placed navigation buttons

Posted by Chris Alexander

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum