Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Ubuntu (Debian) distro for LAMS 2.4 ?

Search: 

2: Re: Ubuntu (Debian) distro for LAMS 2.4 ?
In response to 1 08/05/12 07:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

I promise you and all the community that by the end of August we will have proper upgrades to 2.4.

Since March, we've have had a lot of clients work that has prevent us to work on this. But I'll get onto it and get it down before the end of this month.

That'll include Windows and Unix/Debian/Ubuntu installers.

Thanks for your patience

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Ubuntu (Debian) distro for LAMS 2.4 ?
In response to 2 08/10/12 07:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ok thanks

I'll wait ... with growing age I am more an more disinclined to do manual installation work :)

- Daniel

Posted by Daniel Schneider

4: Re: Re: Re: Ubuntu (Debian) distro for LAMS 2.4 ?
In response to 3 08/15/12 05:45 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
No worries :-)

For the past two days I've been having a go at the Debian package and so far is going well.

Despite the fact that there's an infrastructure upgrade (from jboss-4.0.2 to jboss-5.1) the debian packaging structure is just fantastic. It really make things simple and yet powerful.

Much better than the Windows installer :-)

Another good thing about this new 2.4 debian package is that we'll have a completely full open source stack. So *all* pieces of software used in LAMS will now be fully open source projects.

Originally we were using the sun-java6-jdk from Sun Microsystems which sort of had an open source license but not quite. The Oracle completely changed this and the Ubuntu/Debian guys had to pull this package completely from of their repositories.

But now we will be using OpenJDK (openjdk-6-jdk) instead which is a free and open source implementation of the Java programming language. And so far, it seems to work a treat for LAMS.

So this is also a good improvement that hopefully will ensure that we don't encounter nasty licensing issues in the future.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum