Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: LAMS interoperability

Search: 

2: Re: LAMS interoperability
In response to 1 11/28/12 05:04 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Panagiota,

For many years we have worked with other colleagues in the learning design space and have given suggestions on how to improve IMS Learning Design to make it truly an interoperability specification.

However, I don't think there's an interest in the learning design community to work on interoperability. I think the IMS Learning Design community or people that have worked on this have other interest.

Unfortunately, we haven't seen activity in this space in the past two-to-three years, which might indicate that work on IMS LD is diminishing.

Back when started LAMS, we took a keen interest to participate and contribute to this IMS LD Community as we were building an implementation inspired by it. However, the more deep we've got in the technical implementation, the more we realise that, unlike other IMS specifications, IMS Learning Design wasn't about interoperability but more about a mere attempt to describe learning processes.

We contributed various presentations and documents since 2004 with suggestions on improvements but they weren't taken with interest in the community. And as you might have seen there hasn't been a single update to the IMS Learning Design specification since its release.

As far as I'm aware, the last meeting in which IMS Learning Design was discusses was Montreal 2010. But no consistent plan of action was drawn and -as far as we know, no further plans are available.

I would suggest you see some of the presentations and documents we submitted over the years at various academic and IMS conferences regarding IMS LD. You'll find key suggestions we have proposed to the limitations of the specs. (see the LAMS Research and Development community).

Specifically on IMS LD and LAMS 'compatibility', back in 2005, my colleagues Yoichi Takayama and I, wrote a report on LAMS and IMS LD "mappins" in an attempt to export LAMS sequences in IMS LD level A. This document was submitted to our IMS LD colleagues for feedback but we haven't received and response yet. But I think this will give you a clear idea how the LAMS and IMS LD might intersect.

Find the document attached.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum