Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Attention ALL Translators! (Please read!)

Search: 

11: Attention ALL Translators! (Please read!)
In response to 1 03/27/06 03:45 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Everyone,

First of all, thank you soo much for all the translations you've been sending. It has been great to see all these translations coming every day. It has been much faster than we expected and be a bit patient with us for a few days so we can add them to LAMS.

Just to recap, so far we have Authoring translations in the following languages:

* Chinese (Thanks to: Fei Yang and Dapeng Ni
* German (Ralf Hilgenstock)
* Norwegian (Anders Grov Nilsen)
* Portuguese-Brazilian (Charles Niza
* Spanish (myself -although I can't really trust my Spanish that much... any helpers welcome!)

Work in progress:

* French (Nadia Spang Bovey)
* Korean (Jong-Dae Park)
* Maori (New Zealand Ministry of Ed)
* Polish (Adam Stecyk and Sebastian Komorowski)

While we were working on the Chinese translation, we have realized that our translator tool is not working properly with some character sets. It seems that when the translator tool (a Flash-based desktop application) generates the XML dictionary file, some of the characters get converted to "undefined" string.

It seems this is do to some parsing of the character sets not been interpreted properly by Flash.

In addition, our main Flash developer just had a baby last Wednesday and he's out of reach getting only a few hours a sleep per day :-)

However, by Thursday morning (UK time) we should have a new web application that will help us translate LAMS 1.1 within the community. In this way, members of the LAMS Community can become translators of any language they can help with and work together with others to complete the dictionaries. This would be a centralized effort rather than our current approach that requires quite a bit of fiddling with XML, send files on email, etc, which can be error-prone.

For all of you who have translated the dictionaries already: no worries, your translation will be added as it was before and you'll become the administrator of that language for the LAMS Community. So nothing to worry about.

So if you are about to start a translation, I would encourage you to give me just a few days so I can finish coding this extension to the LAMS Community (it's looking good, I'm coding at full speed ;-).

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

12: Re: Attention ALL Translators! (Please read!)
In response to 11 03/27/06 03:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Oops.. forgot to mention the quickest translation we have had so far: LAMS Authoring in Italian by Edoardo Montefusco

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum