Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2

Search: 

2: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 1 05/07/07 04:49 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Mohammad,

If you want the change the language system-wide, then you need to change it in the SysAdmin menu. In the there, click on "Edit Configuration Settings", and look for the ServerLanguage. To change this to Arabic, type ar_JO. To use change this to French: fr_FR. Click on Save and after you logout, you should see the login page in Arabic/French.

Now if you want to change the language for only one user, then you can login as that person and goto "My Profile", "Edit My Profile" and select a different language from the drop down menu. Click on Save, logout and the next time you login, this user should see the interface in whatever language you selected.

It's important to notice that the way languages work in LAMS2 are set at a system-wide level (as described in the first paragraph) and individual levels. That means that although you can have a system running in a particular language while individual users can use another.

Hope that helps. Let me know otherwise.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 2 05/07/07 06:54 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Mohammad,

If you change to Arabic using the system wide setting (that is, in the SysAdmin menu) you will also want to change the ServerPageDirection setting to RTL. This will make the pages work right to left.

If you change it to French, leave it as LTR.

If you change it for an individual user via "Edit My Profile" then you do not need to set the direction - LAMS will automatically use RTL for Arabic and LTR for French.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

4: Re: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 3 05/07/07 07:02 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
On the language pack version - you don't need to install that language pack. The 2.0.2 installer has the latest language files in it already.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 4 05/08/07 04:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
So many thanks, It works!

Posted by Mohammad Jahama

6: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 2 05/09/07 02:52 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,
I followed your answer to my question. LAMS and its authoring tool are working fine in Arabic, but in "http://localhost:8080/lams" ONLY.

The case is different in Moodle environment. The authoring tool appears in English When creating new sequence in LAMS activity (Moodle's site is working in Arabic though), and I believe the monitoring tool will appear the same.

Any ideas?
Regards.

7: Re: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 6 05/09/07 06:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
We are looking into why this might have occurred. Can I just check one detail - was the user in Moodle always using Arabic or were they using English and logged into LAMS and then changed (in Moodle) to use Arabic?

I'm assuming that this WASN'T the case, but I just want to check as it switching the user's language in Moodle may not get passed through to LAMS automatically.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: change language for LAMS 2.0.2
In response to 7 05/09/07 07:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I got two Moodles worked in my localhost (Moodle 1 & Moodle 2). The first one is working under English language only, while the latter's working under both English & Arabic languages (Arabic is the main one).
There is only one Moodle server defined in (LAMS/sysadmin/maintain integrated servers). I really don't know whether we need to define another server with Arabic as a main language since English is the main language for Athat only server.

Moh'd

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum