Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS Integrations

You may request notification for LAMS Integrations.
Search: 

1: LAMS Integrations
09/20/05 07:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]

For the last few months, the LAMS Foundation and LAMS International have been working on several integrations with other Learning Management Systems. The list so far is:

For further information about this integrations, see the links above. If you have any questions, please use this thread.

Thanks

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS Integrations
In response to 1 10/15/05 02:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Just an update on the integrations front:

We have now created a nice set of animations on the actual implementation of LAMS & Sakai v2.

The flash animations include:

1. Instructor creating a new worksite in Sakai and enabling the LAMS tool
2. Instructor creating a new LAMS sequence and add it to a Sakai course
3. Instructor editing the LAMS sequences
4. Student enrolling into the newly created worksite that contains the LAMS tool
5. Student participates in the LAMS sequence.
6. Instructor opening the LAMS Monitor and LAMS Author in Sakai

http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/sakai2

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. More info and press release will come out shortly.

Thanks,

Ernie

3: Cross-integration question
In response to 1 10/15/05 04:57 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
As someone who uses both Moodle and Blackboard I am wondering if a LAMS activity I create in one will be able to be used in another? It looks like it should be possible, but I'm not really a technical person. So if you are going to give a long technical explanation, please start with a simple yes or no answer :).

Thanks,

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

4: Re: Cross-integration question
In response to 3 10/15/05 06:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> As someone who uses both Moodle and Blackboard I am wondering
> if a LAMS activity I create in one will be able to be used
> in another?

Yes

You can create a sequence in a LAMS/Moodle server and the use it in a LAMS standalone, LAMS/Blackbord, LAMS/Sakai2, etc...

As a matter of fact, you can have one instance of LAMS serving two (or more) different LMSs. And these LMS can share sequences with each other.

You see, not very technical ;-)

Ernie

5: Re: Cross-integration question
In response to 4 10/15/05 07:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

That's excellent.

I could even understand what you wrote after "Yes" :).

Thanks,

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

6: How's it going?
In response to 1 10/25/05 05:43 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
There doesn't seem to be too much activity on the forums or the testing server. From my perspective, it is because I tried it out and it works in a way that is satisfactory for my purposes. (Certainly, some of the changes made based on suggestions here helped.)

So, I'm wondering if we are getting any closer to this actually being released into the real world of moodle? Or, are there technical issues still being addressed?

I guess I'm just looking for an update and hopefully some good news.

Posted by Dean Shankle

8: Re: How's it going?
In response to 6 10/26/05 05:11 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dean,

Well, we haven't publicly announce this in the Moodle forum due to what I mentioned before: the windows installer for LAMS 1.0.2, the LAMS release that has all the integration "hooks" is driving us bananas.

First, due to license reasons, we aren't able to bundle Sun JAVA JDk and MySQL server as we did with the LAMS 1.0.1 installer. Therefore we had to change our installer a *lot* since two major components and dependencies are not longer needed.

Additionally, 1.0.2 does not longer require an organization-key, which was a sort of key that we were planning to use to further organize the resources in the LAMS Community. We chucked this out as we thought that it was a bit too complex for the average random striker out there.

At any rate, I have dropped all my other tasks *just* to get this bloody thing running.

Today, after refactoring the code for the installer almost completely, the windows machine I was using died (hard disk failure) *sigh*

So frustraiting :-(

Anyway, I managed to scribble some notes of the changes I did, so I think it will take me less time this time. As soon as we have a working version of the installer, we are ready to roll!

BTW, I added on Monday a new LAMS&Moodle animation showing how to use LAMS Monitor from Moodle to track the student's progress thru a sequence. You can have a look in the LAMS&Moodle integration page (http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/moodle/), it's called "Monitoring a LAMS sequence".

Thanks for your patience. As soon as we are ready with the windows installer, we'll announce it big time.

Ernie

9: The Update
In response to 8 10/26/05 06:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about your hard disk; that's alway irritating and never convenient.

Also, thanks for the new animation. I do find those helpful.

I will wait patiently for the big announcement.

Dean

Posted by Dean Shankle

7: Re: LAMS Integrations
In response to 1 10/25/05 07:17 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi there, If you are interested in more info on the LAMS/WebCT integration at Macquarie see: http://www.melcoe.mq.edu.au/projects/LAMS@MQ/tech.htm Robyn

Posted by Robyn Philip

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum