Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: XML schema

Search: 

2: Re: XML schema
In response to 1 12/26/07 09:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hola Juanma,

Como estas? Un gusto verte posteando por aqui ;-)

I'm not so sure if we do have XML schemas as such for LAMS sequences as the LAMS export format relies on the data structures of each "object" (i.e.: learning design or an activity).

This means that the XML files you get in LAMS Export format is a Java serialization of the LearningDesignDTO object (see learning_design.xml in the root folder). In this file you'll see that we have the basic learning design information, groupings, all the activities in the design, their transitions and now in 2.1 the branching mappings as well. (see attachment as an example).

Additionally, each activity or tool that you use in LAMS also dumps to XML its own data structure (see the tool.xml file within any of the subdirectories.

The XML for the design (learning_design.xml) and the one for the activities (tool.xml within each subdirectory, one directory per activity) are referenced (or linked) in the learning_design.xml file (see the toolContentID and the name of each subdirectory per tool/activity.

Since the writing of the XML files is done by Java there's not much need for us to create a DTD or XML schema for each tool (and Fiona feel free to add/correct as much as you like).

Nevertheless though, if you want export units of learning into LAMS sequences using some other tool, then it would be best to have a look at the java object's data structures first and then map them to those.

Specially the LearningDesignDTO and the objects it uses to put together the learning design.

Also, each tool (i.e. chat) has its own data structures.

Perhaps the best way to do this would if you let us know how you currently map your data to IMS-LD and we can see how that be reused for LAMS.

Hopefully you'll be using Java which might make things a lot simpler

I hope this helped and let me know if there's anything I can help you with

Muchas gracias, espero que estes comiendo mucho turron español (a mi me encanta! ;-) y Feliz Año Nuevo!

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
3: Re: Re: XML schema
In response to 2 12/26/07 10:19 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Nothing much more for me to add at this point - Ernie has got it exactly right.

Do you want to do this to import sequences into another tool? Do you want to try to import into LAMS?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum