Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation

Search: 

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 5 12/29/07 06:54 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

I think there can be two potential problems here...

1)

on your lams.properties files you have:

LAMS_PORT=8080
SERVER_URL=http://vlearner.com/lams/

Note that the server_url would have to reflect the port number as well, so I think the correct SERVER_URL would be

SERVER_URL=http://vlearner.com:8080/lams/

2)

Also, on the logs I found the following:

00:09:26,810 INFO [org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket] Port busy 8009 java.net.BindException: Address already in use

This means that there's another application using this port or LAMS has been started twice. So perhaps shutdown LAMS, check out if there's any application in your box that run tomcat?

Also the list of files you seen when you go to http://vlearner.com/lams/ are being returned by an apache server that you seems to be running on this box as well. But Apache won't conflict with LAMS as you have set up LAMS to run in port 8080 instead. If you want to run LAMS on port 80, then there's some magic trick you can do to run both (LAMS & Apache) in the same port... let us know if this is what you want to do.

Thanks,

ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 6 12/29/07 08:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks,

I changed the URL and that did not work.
I stopped LAMS and then restarted it.
I know that apache is running on my server. I don't know if any other program is running tomcat. When I check the services I see that Tomcat 5.5 is running and Apache 2. Is lams supposed to be on that list? It does not appear on the list of services. I am working with a dedicated server which I can only access via SSL and Simple Control Panel. Here is a copy of what I did based on your previous instructions:

[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 status
LAMS is running (10132).
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 stop
Stopping LAMS...
Waiting for LAMS to exit...
Stopped LAMS.
LAMS is not running.
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 start
Starting LAMS...
LAMS is running (18705).
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]#

Is there another way to access it? Do my problems have anything to do with the fact that I am running it via port 8080? I cannot shut down apache because I am hosting moodle sites and other webs as well.

Posted by Rod Spears

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 7 12/29/07 09:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

When you say the change URL didn't work, you mean that you try http://vlearner.com:8080/lams/ from your browser and you simply got a "Unable to connect" on your browser, correct?

Can you do me a favor and run this command and paste here the output you get?

ps -ef|grep java

Just try to find out if there are a second java application using tomcat that is blocking the port.

Thanks,

Ernie

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 8 12/29/07 09:39 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

That is correct!

Here is the output:

[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# ps -ef|grep java
jive 1986 1 0 Dec27 ? 00:01:06 /opt/wildfire/jre/bin/java -server -Dinstall4j.jvmDir=/opt/wildfire/jre -Dinstall4j.appDir=/opt/wildfire -Dexe4j.moduleName=/opt/wildfire/bin/wildfire -classpath /opt/wildfire/.install4j/i4jruntime.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/activation.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/bouncycastle.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/commons-el.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/hsqldb.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/hsqldbutil.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/jasper-compiler.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/jasper-runtime.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/jdic.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/jtds.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/mail.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/mysql.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/postgres.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/servlet.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/startup.jar:/opt/wildfire/lib/wildfire.jar com.install4j.runtime.Launcher start org.jivesoftware.wildfire.starter.ServerStarter false false /opt/wildfire/bin/../logs/stderror.log /opt/wildfire/bin/../logs/stdoutt.log true true false true true 0 0 20 20 Arial 0,0,0 8 500 version 2.6.2 20 40 Arial 0,0,0 8 500 -1 -DwildfireHome=/opt/wildfire -Dwildfire.lib.dir=/opt/wildfire/lib start
tomcat 2580 1 0 Dec27 ? 00:00:22 /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_13/bin/java -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=1 -Xverify:none -XX:PermSize=16M -Xms8m -Xmx32m -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/conf/logging.properties -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/common/endorsed -classpath :/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar -Dcatalina.base=/usr/java/tomcat-5.5 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/java/tomcat-5.5 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/java/tomcat-5.5/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root 2604 1 0 Dec27 ? 00:00:56 /usr/java/jdk1.5.0_13/bin/java -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=1 -Xverify:none -XX:PermSize=16M -Xms8m -Xmx48m -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/share/turbopanel/conf/logging.properties -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/turbopanel/common/endorsed -classpath :/usr/share/turbopanel/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/turbopanel/bin/commons-logging-api.jar -Dcatalina.base=/usr/share/turbopanel -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/turbopanel -Djava.io.tmpdir=/var/turbopanel/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
root 18707 18705 2 20:30 ? 00:01:25 /usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/bin/java -Dprogram.name=run.sh -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xms246m -Xmx512m -Djava.library.path=../lib -classpath ../lib/wrapper.jar:../bin/run.jar:/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_03/lib/tools.jar -Dwrapper.key=TDfd1uaT4TB66hmC -Dwrapper.port=32000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.min=31000 -Dwrapper.jvm.port.max=31999 -Dwrapper.pid=18705 -Dwrapper.version=3.2.3 -Dwrapper.native_library=wrapper -Dwrapper.service=TRUE -Dwrapper.cpu.timeout=10 -Dwrapper.jvmid=1 org.tanukisoftware.wrapper.WrapperSimpleApp org.jboss.Main
root 19038 17079 0 21:26 pts/0 00:00:00 grep java

Posted by Rod Spears

10: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 9 12/30/07 04:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

It seems that you are running another instance of Tomcat (LAMS runs JBoss who also has an embedded Tomcat in it) which seems to collide with LAMS.

Would you know what other application is using Tomcat in this box?

If you do have an application that needs to be running Tomcat and you can't stop it, then here are instructions on how you can get around this. Method 1 seems to be the easiest if your box have multiple IPs. Otherwise Method 2 will require a bit more fiddle with the JBoss configuration files.

If you get stuck, please ask! I've never done this myself, but Jun-Dir, the JBoss King, for sure has.

Thanks,

Ernie

11: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 10 12/30/07 12:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

I stopped Tomcat and that did not work. Then I tried Option 1 because I have more than one IP address available. Here is a copy of what I did and the results. After I change this IP address, do I need to change my URL in the lams.properties file and use a different URL?

[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.sh -b 72.167.48.28
=========================================================================

JBoss Bootstrap Environment

JBOSS_HOME: /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2

JAVA: /usr/java/jdk/bin/java

JAVA_OPTS: -server -Xms128m -Xmx128m -Dprogram.name=run.sh

CLASSPATH: /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.jar:/usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar

=========================================================================

/usr/java/jdk/bin/java -server -Xms128m -Xmx128m -Dprogram.name=run.sh -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/lib/endorsed -classpath /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2/bin/run.jar:/usr/java/jdk/lib/tools.jar org.jboss.Main -b 72.167.48.28
LAMS is not running.
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]# sudo ./lams2 start
Starting LAMS...
LAMS is running (4337).
[root@ip-72-167-46-74 bin]#

Posted by Rod Spears

12: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 11 12/30/07 04:55 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

If you change the IP address, you should change it in the lams.properties in /etc/lams2 for future upgrades. But it won't make any difference to the version of LAMS already installed.

You will need to start using the new IP address when you try to call LAMS ie http://72.167.48.28:8080/lams.

Then if you do get the login screen up then the page may look a little odd, as it may not be loading the stylesheets correctly. Log into LAMS as sysadmin, select the Sys Admin link and go to Edit Configuration Settings. Change the Server URL entry to the new URL.

This highlights an issue with using a numeric IP address, rather than a name for the server. Users will have to use that numeric IP address to access LAMS, or the stylesheets won't load - the url that is specified in the Server URL field is the url used to load the stylesheets and other bits and pieces of rendering bits in LAMS.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

13: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 10 01/01/08 12:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,

I have spent many hours working on a solution over the past several days. While searching for answers, I finally came across something about checking the firewall on my server. When I disabled the firewall, I could access LAMS!!!

During the process, I changed the port to 8180 and it is working on that port after disabling the firewall. Then I changed my firewall to allow access.

Now I am working on integration of LAMS and Moodle.

Posted by Rod Spears

14: Re: Re: Re: Problem accessing LAMS after installation
In response to 13 01/01/08 03:08 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

Great to hear that it was just a firewall issue :-) I can't believe I didn't think about this before!

Anyway, let us know if you have any further problems.

Thanks,

ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS