Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)

You may request notification for Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver).
Search: 

1: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
01/13/09 03:50 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,
I tried to install and run lams 2.2.
System: Windows Vista Professional (ch_fr)
MySQL: Wampserver 2.0 http://www.wampserver.com/

I know I shouldn't use a wamp, but installing mysql + apache + php + xxx is way more complicated :(

Anyhow, according to the trace file the LAMS installation went ok: File ends with:

Copy to C:\soft\lams\jboss-4.0.2\conf\wrapper.conf
Create folder: C:\soft\lams\jboss-4.0.2\logs
LAMSv2 successfully setup as a service. (0)
Completed.
Also there are lams2 tables in mysql

When I start lams from the programs menu I get this message:

>>> MySQL does not appear to be running - please make sure it is running before starting LAMS,

Question 1: Is there something I could do about this ? Or do I really have to install another mysql, which implies moving other applications or run 2 MYSQLs and make changes to ports.

I then executed jboss-4.0.2\bin>run.exe
a) LAMS then deployed ok or so it seems
b) But when I go to the URL, there is a runtime error.

2009-01-13 10:25:41,002 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/lams].[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/jdt/internal/compiler/ast/ArrayReference

Question 2: Is this bat file still ok (I can see that it is old) and do you have another one by chance if it is dead ? Or is something wrong with my java ? What does eclipse have to do with lams etc ?

I attached the zip with the log files

- greetings and thanx ! - Daniel

Posted by Daniel Schneider

Attachments:
2: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 1 01/13/09 06:26 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

I have managed to install LAMS 2.2 with WampServer2.0, on a XP SP2 machine, (sorry I dont have a Vista machine on hand to test on). I didnt run into the same problems you did, I did have some problems to overcome of my own though.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can by explaining how I did it in steps.

1) Install wamp of-course
2) Installing LAMS failed because it could not find the mysql.servers table. So I cancelled the install then created the table using these commands:

use mysql;
CREATE TABLE 'servers' (
'Server_name' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Host' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Db' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Username' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Password' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Port' int(4) DEFAULT NULL,
'Socket' char(64) DEFAULT NULL,
'Wrapper' char(64) NOT NULL,
'Owner' char(64) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY ('Server_name')
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
COMMENT='MySQL Foreign Servers table';

3) Installed LAMS using PORT 8180, and MYSQL DIR: C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.1.30

4) I needed to restart the machine as I was getting a clash on port 1098 when I started LAMS. But after a restart LAMS started up smoothly

To try to answer your questions:

Question 1: Are you sure that the mysql server was running? after restarting the mysql service did not start up automatically for me. The lams startup script runs a ping command to check the mysql server is running like:

(mysqldir)\bin\mysqladmin ping -h localhost -P 3306 -u root

So it looks like this is failing for you.

Question 2: I think the run.bat will still be good, but the way the start script starts LAMS is to run the following command, so try this one instead in a cmd window:

sc start LAMSv2

Hope all this helps

Luke Foxton

Posted by Luke Foxton

3: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 2 01/14/09 10:29 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luke,
thanx for your help. I now WORKS :)

Indeed there was the mysql missing table issue (btw. I noticed that it was missing also in a Solaris distro). But somehow before I posted my initial post I managed to fix this. Don't recall how, maybe just by using 'mysqlcheck'. Anyhow the tables were there and MySQL was running and accessible. Also I had to move the "transaction-isolation=READ-COMMITTED" to an other section.
Summary: I did not have a "MysQL is not available" problem, since all the 202 lams tables were created by your installer.

I rather think that there is a VISTA problem somewhere, also maybe in addition not rebooting after playing with other software may have interfered.
Anyhow, after reboot + a complete deinstall/reinstall of LAMS (but keeping the mysql tables) the start script still WILL NOT work.

**** What did work was the following:
Open the services panel of Vista, click on LAMSv2 and start the service did the trick.

Don't know how it can be found on an English speaking win. Something like: Configuration Panel->Administration tools->Services. I made a shortcut now ;)

I don't want to totally de-install everything to reproduce everything. Currently on my Vista, what does work is the menu "Stop Lams" script. Starting it again still gives the "MySQL doesn't appear running ... " error. But if I start the service with the services panel it will restart again.

- Daniel :)
PS: So I am happy enough, I only needed LAMS on my travel computer. But maybe you should put this on a "let's check Vista with WAMPS" todo list .....

Posted by Daniel Schneider

4: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 3 01/14/09 04:34 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

Im glad it worked out for you in the end, I will definately put this on the todo list, especially the issue with the startup script. This will most probably be fixed by the next release. Also, I expect there will be some specific instruction put on the wiki for installing LAMS with WAMP bundled mysql.

Thanks for your help in pointing out the problem

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 4 01/14/09 05:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 5 12/13/09 05:14 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello Luke. I am running a Vista Business machine with Wamp 2.0. I installed LAMS 2.2 last night and everthing went very well. I was very impressed. I toyed around with the interface creating users and Groups etc. without any issues. This morning I went to work creating a course with lessons. I got about three noticeboards with lesson one setup and then LAMS totally locked up. The my CPU was maxed out along with the RAM and I couldn't save my work. I backed out of LAMS restarted my computer and then couldn't log in at all. Firefox cannot connect to localhost:8080 was the error. No matter what I tried nothing worked. I ended up uninstalling LAMS and reinstalling with the port setting of 8180. Now LAMS will just sit there waiting on localhost with no activity. Not sure where to go from here. I really was impressed out of the box with this application but now I'm worried I may have to start my search again. Please advise.

Thank
Tsalagi

Posted by George Phillips

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 6 12/13/09 06:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Correction: I installed LAMS 2.3

I uninstalled LAMS again and this time chose to remove the database and all files. I checked the status of the servers table in mysql and it exised already. I reinstalled LAMS and was able to log in after a terribly long wait for it to load. We'll see how it goes now.

On a side note: The lesson I was creating deals with PHP code and I was having trouble with some tables that had increment and decrement Operators displayed. Could the use of these PHP references cause any problems? For example -- decrement -- $var and ++ increment ++ $var was in the table that I was having trouble with. Just a thought.

Thanks for your help

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 7 12/13/09 06:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

This could be an issue with memory settings but its hard to say without looking at the logs. Could you please zip up the jboss-4.0.2/server/default/log directory and post it here, perhaps we can find the issue in there.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 8 12/13/09 06:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Here you go. Let me know what you find out. When you say memory settings, do you mean with a mysql configuration file? I appreciate any info you can give. I'm trying to get these lessons out an available. I'd hate to have the database become corrupt due to me doing to much at one time.

Attachments:
10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 9 12/13/09 06:59 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I dont see anything in the logs indicating an error, if LAMS ran out of memory and crashed there would be an indication in the logs. I dont think there is much risk of your database becoming corrupt.

When I say memory settings, I mean the LAMS startup memory settings, which should be ok so long as you didnt change them.

Are you running anything else on your machine? LAMS requires 512MB of ram to run and can become slow if there are too many other things running on the server.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 10 12/13/09 07:11 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
512mb! Yikes! I only have 1 gig of ram but I have my virtual memory kicked up to about 2 gigs. I usually have Notepad++ and several tabs opened in Firefox along with the Wamp Configuration. I may need to remember to clear my clipboard as I am copying and pasting much of my material from web pages I've created. I really appreciate your help. Onward and Upward!

By the way is there any Documentation about using inline styles in the noticeboards? I've used some in my lessons and they work great I just haven't seen any mention of it.

Thanks again

Tsalagi

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 11 12/13/09 07:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
There is alot of information about our html editor (called the fckeditor) here:

http://tinyurl.com/yeeprgh

Im not sure how much there is about inline css, but im sure you can find more from the fck user guide which you can find a link on the page above.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fail to run LAMS 2.2 (win vista, wampserver)
In response to 12 12/13/09 09:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Here we go again. I was creating another lesson this time I was adding multiple choice questions and LAMS locked up when trying to save the questions. Here are the log files. I'm still thinking that it may be the PHP code I'm including. This time the questions were about arrays with examples of the array syntax and the code array() was one of the answers. Fortunately I was able to log back in. Here are the log files again if you think they will help.
I appreciate your time.

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS