Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update

Search: 

127: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update
In response to 1 02/20/09 01:03 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Translators,

The translator's server is now update with the latest labels.

There's a bucket of new features included now... but let me see if I can give you a list of the most important ones:

Improved Layout

For a long time, LAMS has been constricted to very very narrow windows (800x600 resolution) now you will be able to see that we take advantage of space a lot better with stretchable screens so you can have more room for images, text and content in general. That goes for the main course page as well as all author and monitor pages.

Video Recording tool coming shortly

The video recording tool is coming along very very nicely. I have added it to the translator's server but haven't managed to get a streaming server installed, so you will be able to see the video example I put in there, but not to record your own yet (give me a week to get some server space).

Please check out the lesson called "Video Recording Test" that I created with the Video Recording plugin and leave comments on how it works for you.

Pixlr is now finished!

Thanks for your feedback on the pixlr tool. All of it has now been added to the Pixlr tool that works incredibly nicely. (Also our thanks to Ola Sevandersson for his awesome work on Pixlr).

A preview on the upcoming Assessment tool

For a long long time we've been longing for a better assessment tool in LAMS (at the moment MCQ is just to basic). So we embarked in creating a whole new powerful assessment tool based on these requirements. The Authoring parts of it are now working, so you can play with them and let us know what you think.

Pedagogical planner is almost done!

The Pedagogical Planner will be a really new twist to LAMS. Instead of starting from a blank Authoring page, the Planner will assist you in creating quick and educationally sound designs that you can do in a matter of minutes. James and Leanne have been creating the initial steps and in the next month we should be able to show you some examples.

Import sequences in LAMS directly from the LAMS Community

We are about to finish a new feature that directly from your LAMS server, you'll be able to browse/search all the available sequences in the LAMS Community and once you select one that you like, add it to your LAMS server by pressing a button. This is all finished on the LAMS side, we are just waiting for me to get a chance to do "hooks" on the LAMS Community -so we should be done shortly.

Public Folder

Now you can share sequences with all the authors system-wide. Just drop your sequence into the Public Folder and everyone can get access to it. Note that this is a *real* public folder, therefore others can modify your sequence.. so keep a copy on your own folder if you don't want your sequence to be changed/modified/deleted.

Math Formulae

I think I mentioned this before, but you can use any math formulae in LAMS now... see the Fx button in the online HTML editors.

Regarding the translations, many thanks to Horng-Ji Lai that has been working really hard on the Chinese (Taiwan) translations. Same for Robin Ohia> (Maori) and a two new translators:

* Ruslan Kazakov (Russian)
* Leffe Eriksson

The next update is label update will be on March 13th. But I'll update the server so you can play with the video recorder and the assessment tool.

Many thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

128: Re: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update
In response to 127 02/20/09 04:42 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
uh! I forgot one thing...

Upload any video/audio file into a LAMS activity

When we introduced last year an option for FLV videos into LAMS, that was good but some of your comments have been that only having the option to use one type of video files (FLV: Flash video) is very restrictive.

Sp included in the translations server you will find a new feature in the FCKEditor that allows you to upload video and audio files of the following formats:

• .avi Audio Video Interleave
  • .flv Flash Video
  • .mov Quicktime Movie
  • .mp3 Audio
  • .mp4 MPEG-4
  • .mpv iPod video file
  • .wma Windows Media Audio
  • .wmv Windows Media Video
  • Youtube URLs

here are instructions on how to use this:

http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/fckEditor+Media+Player

Play with it and if you have any comments, just post it on the forums.

Thanks,

Ernie

PS: does anyone use realplayer?

129: Re: Re: LAMS Internationalization Update
In response to 127 02/27/09 01:46 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Translators!!

Great news: now you can check out the new VideoRecording tool as well as the VideoRecording Plugin!

The VideoRecording Plugin allows you to record video in any LAMS activity... so instead of typing your instructions for example, you can just video-record them :-)

Additionally, the Video Recording Tool is a full LAMS Activity that allows you to create video-forum discussions in a YouTube-like style. It's quite wicked...

I have updated your server so you can have a look.

Check out the two lesson I created in there and if you have a spare webcam around, record some video introducing yourselves! Finally, we'll be meeting in in cyberspace! :-)

If you have any problems or comments, please post them here.

Thanks and enjoy the full media LAMS!!

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum