Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Share different resources in each student

Search: 

2: Re: Share different resources in each student
In response to 1 05/10/09 12:39 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Haris,

I'm not clear on what you need to do? Do you want to give a specific file for each student?

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve please?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Share different resources in each student
In response to 2 05/10/09 12:06 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi again

Yes I want to give different units of learning to each student or to groups of students .

The students with the same material will discuss it using chat or forum

I want to avoid the process of the manual assignment of educational material to each student . I was wondering if you can use the grouping tool with the share resources tool

I don't know if it is possible different units of learning to be shared randomly to one or more students.

P.S Probably a conditional will be necessary in order to join a forum or chat according to the material the student has taken. I am not sure that LAMS supports a conditional of this kind

The only solution i see is only to describe the learning process in order the students to join by themselves the appropriate forum

Thanks

Haris

Posted by Haris Siempos

4: Re: Re: Re: Share different resources in each student
In response to 3 05/10/09 04:12 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Haris:

are you wanting to habr the same activity for each group but each activity has, say, different data?

same learning outcomes, different scenarios, etc, yes?

so essentially you want to attach scenario 1 to group 1, scenario 2 to group 2, etc.

(please don't say you want to randomly attach secnarios to groups - my head hurts)

@Ernie: this sounds similar to the COPS project I was on at QUT: Collaborative Online Problem Solving. I didn't come up with an answer using LAMS before the project was pulled. But that's not saying it can't be done.

essentially, each scenario would have their own collection of resources (in out case it was documents, video, etc) and then the group members would collaborate together to come up with a solution. Each group would then be brought back to the class to discuss their solution to the scenario they were given and the whole class would then review it.

@Haris: similar to what you want to do?

(@Ernie: we had an additional complexity where there were different roles within each group: we wanted to get each role to collaborate: each student would be in two "groupings": their workgroup and their rolegroup - I think this is out of scope for Haris but I identified it as a requirement so someone else may want to do that one of these days)

Posted by barry beattie

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Share different resources in each student
In response to 4 05/11/09 01:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi

Thanks for the quick response.

@Barry

The basic idea is to use LAMS as a platform for collaborating learning or problem solving

The project you describe is very similar with that I want to do

I was experimenting with a scenario where a big learning unit is divided in smaller parts and each group collaborates to study its small part . Each group comes back to the class and presents what they have done .

It would be useful in cases where you have to present a lot of learning material in a class.

Designing that process i faced some problems.

Is it possible the student or group to select the unit they want to study; The problem is i want to enforce that all units will be selected

Can I assign roles to the members of a group;

I think it would be better the groups to be heterogenous . For this reason I asked if is possible to create first the groups randomly and then share them the relevant learning unit

Sorry for the long post and my poor English

Haris

Posted by Haris Siempos

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Share different resources in each student
In response to 5 05/11/09 02:50 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
One question more about the use of grouping tool in scenarios of collaborative learning

I want to design a sequence where groups of 2 students collaborate through forum and then a group of 4 students is created where the collaboration is continued.

A first idea is to insert the first grouping tool in sequence and then the forum and the second grouping tool .

But I am not sure if the second grouping tool is referring to the whole class or only to the group created by the first grouping tool. If this happens it is not possible to create a group of 4 members from a group of 2 members

Thanks

Haris

Posted by Haris Siempos

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum