Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Moodle/LAMS workflow

Search: 

2: Re: Moodle/LAMS workflow
In response to 1 07/01/09 02:35 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Dave,

> There isn't any access to the teacher's LAMS folder except
> through the add activity process. Is that correct?

Well, guess what? The original LAMS2 integration we had with Moodle it works just like this:

Add a LAMS lesson, then you would choose to pick one sequence and put a name and bang, you had a lesson.

However, then moodlers complained that they wanted to have within a LAMS "container" one or more lessons. Also the ability to have these containers to use Moodle groupings. Therefore we rewrote this as it is now.

Now you need to create a LAMS container and then you add lessons to it.

For reference, this is exactly the same way Moodle forums work with threads. So I guess Moodlers are more use to that style of working?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS workflow
In response to 2 07/01/09 05:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think I am confused by the terminology here

1) lams lessons
2) sequence
3) container

Right now when I am in Moodle there is a dropdown Add Activity, one option is Lamsv2. Then when I go to the next page I can browse my folders and choose a sequence or create a new one.

I am not sure what the difference is between a lesson and a sequence :). I don't recall seeing this feature in Moodle, so maybe I have an old version of the Moodle integration.

Posted by Dave Bauer

4: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS workflow
In response to 3 07/06/09 08:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi

A sequence is created in lams authoring. It sits in your workspace, but isn't interactive in any way. You can export it, copy it, save it, much like a file.

A lesson is a sequence at run-time. Behind the scenes it is basing itself off of a copy of the original sequence. It is interactive in that learners can join and participate. It can be started, stopped, archived, and you can export results (student progresses) from it.

What we've been referring to as a container (we use the term loosely), is a moodle module. In this case a lamstwo module 'contains' lams lessons. Note the plural, not too long ago a lamstwo 'container' equated to a single lams lesson.

> Then when I go to the next page I can browse my folders and choose a sequence or create a new one.

That sounds like you're using an older version of the module? The current version displays an 'open authoring' and 'add a new lesson' link once you've added a LAMSv2 module. Clicking 'add a new lesson' brings you to the folder browsing interface.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum