Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: problems with building LAMS from source

Search: 

3: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 1 07/12/09 04:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Also, Navin, are you using the code from cvs head or the lams2_3 branch?

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

5: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 3 07/15/09 01:26 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ernie,
I am using Lams 2.2 Java source obtained from http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Downloads

Posted by Navin Jathan

8: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 5 07/19/09 06:30 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Bump..... Is there a way to resolve this?

Posted by Navin Jathan

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 8 07/19/09 07:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Alright... i have sorted out the mysql issue. Now the service is listening on port 3306, and i have successfully run rebuild-db.

However, upon running assemble-ear i get the following error:

BUILD FAILED
/home/navin/software/moodle/lams2.2_source/lams_build/build.xml:62: The following error occurred while executing this line:
/home/navin/software/moodle/lams2.2_source/lams_common/build.xml:168: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Where is the compiler error output?

I have pasted the complete output here:
http://pastebin.com/f36991665

Posted by Navin Jathan

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 9 07/19/09 06:52 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Cool about the mysql. The compile problem looks like it can't find some libraries that are in the jboss folder. In lams_build/unix.properties is configured the path to jboss, by default this is /usr/local/jboss-4.0.2 - have you extracted jboss 4.0.2 to this path?

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 10 07/19/09 08:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I had modified the unix.properties file to point the variables at the right directories. However i am using JBoss 5.1.0 GA (the latest). Am i necessarily supposed to use 4.0.2?

Posted by Navin Jathan

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 11 07/19/09 08:26 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
If your source is 2.2, jboss 4.0.2 - if you're using the latest from head, jboss 5.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

13: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 11 07/21/09 12:03 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Navin,

I'll put a wiki page on how to build from source using JBoss5 and the code from head shortly.

Thanks,

Ernie

14: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 13 07/21/09 11:39 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Building LAMS 2.4 from source:

http://tinyurl.com/nyhq3j

15: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 14 07/22/09 01:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks a lot Ernie for this mini-guide!

From what it looks, lams 2.4 looks a little different from 2.2... please bear with me if the questions look a bit noobish..
One of the lines in the above link says "There are a few settings you would need to change in the file insert_lams_unix_config_data.sql under lams_common/db/sql/ directory. Some important that you want to review are: ServerURL, EARDir, TempDir, DumpDir."
What are the ideal values for these variables supposed to look like?
Say, i have just downloaded and have lams 2.4 directory tree in the directory /var/www/htdocs/lams , and jboss in /var/www/htdocs/jboss5.1.0GA... Thus i haven't got anything in /var/opt (as suggested by the TempDir, DumpDir in the sample insert_lams_unix_config_data.sql .
Also, is the ServerURL supposed to be something like http://lams.local , where i have defined something like this in the httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerAdmin navin@lams.local
DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/lams/
<Directory "/var/www/htdocs/lams">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>
ServerName lams.local
</VirtualHost>

Where, again, i have the recently downloaded lams2.4 directory tree in /var/www/htdocs/lams ?

Posted by Navin Jathan

17: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 15 07/22/09 02:43 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have compiled lams as per the hot-to, however, without correctly configuring the insert_lams_unix_config_data.sql i think.. i did not get any errors while executing the "ant" commands.. Does this mean the build was successful?

The last line in the how-to says "Go into your jboss-5 directory and start it". I ran the run.sh file in the jboss5.1.0GA directory. It looked to have started after a little more than 4 minutes... but now i dont know what next! how do i access lams?

Posted by Navin Jathan

18: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 17 07/22/09 03:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Navin,

Make sure you start jboss using the run.sh script. In JBoss5, it seems that you need to bind the IP to it. So run it as ./run.sh -b {here-goes-your-IP}

Once JBoss starts, point your browser to http://{here-goes-your-IP}:8080/lams

And that should do.

ernie

16: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: problems with building LAMS from source
In response to 15 07/22/09 02:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Navin,

JBoss has an embedded Tomcat which includes a webserver.

LAMS requires an servlet container and we use JBoss for that. The embedded Tomcat webserver "serves" the LAMS application. If you try to put the jboss directory in your /var/www/htdocs you are actually serving the whole jboss :-)

If you really need to serve LAMS using Apache, then you can use mod_jk which is a way acts as a proxy for Tomcat. However, you would generally use mod_jk for clustering and/or to server static content faster. Here are instructions on how to use LAMS with mod_jk

Thanks,

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS