Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Problems with accents and ñ

You may request notification for Problems with accents and ñ .
Search: 

1: Problems with accents and ñ
11/05/09 11:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,
I was forced move to Ubuntu and I’m having the same problems that I’ve reported previously.
The problems appears in user names, lessons, etc with á,ñ,ç, etc..
The system is Ubuntu server 9.04, mysql 5, java 6 and lams 2.3.2.

Thanks in advanced,

Posted by Miguel Muñoz

Attachments:
2: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 1 11/09/09 12:12 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I got the same problem with Ubuntu.
Firefox 3.0.15 and Flash 10 (10.0.32.18).

In addition, the competence éditeur also shows the 2 bytes when defining entries or descriptions, e.g.
"é" instead of é. (So far) I didn't see this behavior
in other tools (e.g. the Wiki)

So it's a Flash-related issue I think. Certainly you must make sure to install the latest Flash player version (not sure that I have the latest, I just use the Ubuntu distro). I do/did have other Unix Flash problems not related to LAMS.

Can't be LAMS IMHO, since:
- all works fine on windows
- all other stuff (e.g. all the french labels or things I type in the scribe tool) show ok in the Unix version.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

3: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 2 11/09/09 06:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I can confirm the same problem with Flash on Ubuntu. It only seems to happen when you attempt to type directly; if you enter your characters in a non-flash text field/app, you can still paste that text into the flash text field fine.

This shouldn't affect usernames however, since those are entered via standard HTML form. The only known problem at the moment in that regard seems to affect 2.3.2 only on Windows servers, but is fixed in 2.3.3. (http://lamscommunity.org/dotlrn/clubs/technicalcommunity/forums/message-view?message_id=877908)

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

4: Re: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 3 11/10/09 02:08 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I've tested on both firefox+flash 10.0.32.18 and IE+flash 10.0.32.18, and have the same problem.

Some parts of flash interface works well, but others not. You
may put accents when create a lesson and it works well. The problem comes when you add a lesson to a group. The accents are converted to two characters in the 'lams_lesson' table.

Posted by Miguel Muñoz

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 4 11/11/09 02:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I can't seem to reproduce this. Can you check the character set for your database?

mysql> select * from information_schema.schemata;

In your previous thread you mentioned:

When I edit the table with mysql, the name are show correctly, meaning that the problem occurs during saving at page level.

But this doesn't necessarily confirm that the database is in utf8 since some of the non-english characters are part of other charsets anyway.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 5 11/11/09 03:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
For lams2 the  DEFAULT_CHARACTER_SET_NAME is utf8 and the  DEFAULT_COLLATION_NAME is utf8_general_ci.

I found that as default, my wildfire database is latin, but I'm not using the chat.

You can find the complete output attached as a text file.

Posted by Miguel Muñoz

Attachments:
7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 5 11/11/09 03:49 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think I didn't explain well.

When I create a sequence and I save it with a name as for example "Introducción", in the table 'lams_learning_design' i see "Introducción", then I add this sequence to a class and then I see "Introdu??ion" in the table 'lams_lesson'.

When I said save level I mean lesson creation level.

Posted by Miguel Muñoz

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems with accents and ñ
In response to 7 11/12/09 12:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for the clarification, but it's still the same - I can't reproduce the problem.

Have you tried this on demo.lamscommunity.org? Ideally from the same machine.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum