Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009)

You may request notification for Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009).
Search: 

1: Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009)
11/13/09 09:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Maybe it's and end of the week thing, but I am unable to properly use the gradebook.

Firstly (this is a conceptual issue) I don't think that only admins ought to have the right to enable use of gradebooks for monitors and students. At the least the teacher (group admin) ought to be able too.

Anyhow I created a sysadmin account: adminfr

"Adminfr" ticked each checkbox in the Modify testing group (including the two gradebook ones)

Teacher/monitor "french" now doesn't have any controls regarding the gradebook except:
- In the gradeboook tool to download the excel file (no button to release grades as I expected)
- exporting the portfolio in the monitoring tool.

Learners "test1" and "testfr" can open "My grandes", but for testfr the page is emtpy and for test1 the contents of the table are empty.
Both did 3 sequences: testing-gradebook1, 2 and 3

Am I missing something (probably) ? Even if it's "a Friday evening and being a bit tired" thing, I should not be stuck. On a Friday evening I still can outperform a typical teacher with respect to using some software ;)

- greetings

Posted by Daniel Schneider

2: Re: Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009)
In response to 1 11/15/09 04:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel.

>> Firstly (this is a conceptual issue) I don't think that only admins ought to have the right to enable use of gradebooks for monitors and students. At the least the teacher (group admin) ought to be able too.

This is a good idea, we'll discuss this here and let you know what we decide.

About the problem you having, I think I found the issue here. Its to do with the Franch characters in the text messing with the javascript. Theres a bit of text not being escaped properly that is causing broken strings. I will investigate this further and raise a bug for it.

Thanks for finding this one Daniel, im not sure how it slipped through in our testing.

Luke

Posted by Luke Foxton

3: Re: Re: Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009)
In response to 2 11/15/09 05:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Glad you can confirm and it's not me not being able to figure it out :)

Maybe its apostrophes. Funny how the fall of them roman empire and its subsequent creolization of latin led people to use these instead of fully pronouncing words ;)

Back to serious: It would be nice if you also could upgrade the translation server once more before you release the next version. I think I am almost done creating a usable french version, but would like to go over some labels once more...

- Daniel

4: Re: Re: Gradebook trouble (translation server nov 13 2009)
In response to 2 11/16/09 11:14 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ok seems to work now :) - Monday 16 nov translation server version.

Actually one question I had above wasn't a bug. If student clicks on my grades he won't see not released grades. I wonder if you couldn't add in some future LAMS version a tick button that goes "Automatically release grades". A good place would be the monitoring tool. Also, as I said before, the teacher should have the checkboxes for releasing grades that now only the sysadmin has.

A comment on display:
The gradebook is programmed in JS and could have a fluid layout. I.e. when the user enlarges the browser window, the client area should grow too.

Don't know how difficult this is to program :=)

If it's hard, can't you just make it a little bit wider and longer ? Now the total popup client area (white) is 732 x 270.
At least a bit longer ?

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum