Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Wiki features - Suggestions

You may request notification for Wiki features - Suggestions.
Search: 

1: Wiki features - Suggestions
01/20/12 05:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi, I suggest to improve the wiki a bit if possible:

* Fix the error message when an internal link is broken. It now gives:

Sorry, there has been an error.

There is a problem processing this request. Close the browser window and try again. If the problem persists please contact your system administrator or the technical forums on http://lamscommunity.org/.
javax.servlet.ServletException: null Show detail

Error message should display the missing wiki page if possible, or else at least ask the user to re-create a valid link.

Comment: Wiki links can break in several ways, e.g. it happened when I imported a LAMS modules, migrated to another server, deleted a page, etc.

* Be able to undelete a page. This is important ! Maybe have a list of deleted pages underneath the list of wiki pages ?

* Display "Unscribe to notifications" when the user is already subscribed. Also it's not very clear what this button does (subscribe for the whole wiki or just a page)

* Upgrade the editor if possible to a version where one can edit source code. Right now, fixing contents means digging into SQL. And believe me, students do have creative ways of messing up the wiki. E.g. pasting from word (impossible to teach all that they should use a paste from word button).

- cheers ! - Daniel
PS: Of course there could be more improvements. The ones above are just minimal ones to make it a bit more usable.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

2: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 1 02/07/12 04:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Beep

Ernie, would you mind looking into this sometimes. IMHO a wiki not working well is a real show stopper.

Or at least take into account my remarks for the new LAMS version to come.

- cheers ! Daniel
PS: I again strongly suggest not to invest all energy into implementing new testing and quizzing features. Learning design is foremost about students *doing* something :)

3: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 1 03/06/12 06:25 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

Sorry I haven't seen this before.

I'll have a play with the wiki today to try to reproduce this and fix this accordingly before 2.4 is out.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

4: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 1 03/06/12 08:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Daniel,

I've been playing with the Wiki and I have the some issues with links not working properly, so I have raised a dev task for it LDEV-2824

> There is a problem processing this request. Close the browser window and try again. If the problem persists please contact your system administrator or the
> technical forums on http://lamscommunity.org/javax.servlet.ServletException: null Show detail

I wasn't able to get this error.

Can you give me the steps to reproduce this please?

7: Re: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 4 03/06/12 08:53 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
That happens when you click on a dead wiki link. I.e. the page the link points to doesn't exist. Since a page can be killed, that is quite easy to produce.

Example:

Below are two links

1. Voir / éditer questions de recherche (Missing link)
2. Voir / editer plans de recherche

The wiki includes the following:
Accueil Wiki Sondages
Activité questions de recherche
Exemple: Age et motivation
Plans de recherche
Exemple questions de recherche

A page called "questions de recherche" was missing. Attached the example.

Btw. this sequence also includes a conceptual mistake. After a grouping I inserted a forum+scribe somehow expecting that I get groups there. Didn't work as expected, i.e. there only was one scribe. I should have added a branch and duplicate forum+scribes there I guess. Maybe you could implement some checking that would require users to do something that is meanigful after a grouping ?

Attachments:
10: Re: Re: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 7 03/06/12 10:01 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Daniel,

I have created a two dev tasks for this.

LDEV-2826 deals with removing pages. Essentially, we won't really delete the page but rather tag it as removed. Removed pages cannot longer be edited. So a page that has been removed will show like this:

So no links/pages will be lost or missed.

LDEV-2827 will create the functionality to restore a page that has been previously removed. This will remove the deleted tag from the page.

I think these will address most of the current wiki issues.

Thanks for the feedback and if you have any more comments, place them here.

Cheers,

Ernie

5: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 1 03/06/12 08:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> * Display "Unscribe to notifications" when the user is already subscribed. Also it's not very clear what this button does (subscribe for the whole wiki or just a page)

It's actually for the entire wiki and not just one page. But I can see why this is causing confusion as it's not very clear.

How about if we change this label to:

"Unsubscribe/subscribe to notifications by email each time any page in this Wiki is edited. "

Would that be better?

> * Upgrade the editor if possible to a version where one can edit source code. Right now, fixing contents means digging into SQL. And believe me,
students do have creative ways of messing up the wiki. E.g. pasting from word (impossible to teach all that they should use a paste from word button).

I think this shouldn't be too hard.

Let me have a go at it.

Thanks

Ernie

6: Re: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 5 03/06/12 08:34 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Ok for the button change :)

HTML editing would be nice indeed if you could. These through the web editors just don't work 100% right and do get messed up by pasting.

8: Re: Re: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 6 03/06/12 08:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
>HTML editing would be nice indeed if you could. These through the web editors just don't work 100% right and do get messed up by pasting.

http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2825

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wiki features - Suggestions
In response to 8 03/06/12 08:55 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
LDEV-2825: I have committed the changes for this already, so you can test it in shaun in about 45 minutes.

The testing users in shaun are the usual: test1, test2, test3 and the passwds are the same as the usernames.

Let me know how you go please.

Thanks,

Ernie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum