Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map

You may request notification for Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map.
Search: 

1: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
05/07/09 09:12 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The new tool MindMap is very interesting.

In my opinion it is better to rename it as

"Concept/Mind Map Tool"

What do you think?

Spyros

Posted by Spyros Papadakis

2: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 1 05/07/09 07:01 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Spyros

Can I assume from your message that "Mind Map" is not the generic term used in Europe for this type of tool? Would you normally call it a "Concept Mapping" tool?

Leanne

Posted by Leanne Cameron

4: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 2 05/18/09 05:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Both terms concept maps ("Εννοιολογικοί χάρτες" in Greek) and mind maps ("Νοητικοί χάρτες" ή "Χάρτες Εννοιών" in Greek)used in Europe in a form of semantic network.

Concept mapping is used more general.

The difference between concept maps and mind maps is that a mind map has only one main concept, while a concept map may have several.

A mind map can be represented as a tree, while a concept map may need a network representation.

The IHMC CmapTools program http://cmap.ihmc.us)is one of the most popular software in Europe for concept mapping.

6: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 4 02/10/10 01:40 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I am currently working on LAMS and I would like to use concept map tool instead of mind map tool.

The IHMC Cmap tool is very nice tool.

Is there any way to integrate this tool into LAMS?

Thanks,

Posted by Muesser Cemal Nat

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 6 02/10/10 11:56 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> IHMC Cmap

Is this a web application? It looks, for the little I've seen, that this is actually a desktop application. Is it?

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 7 02/11/10 06:36 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes, it's a Software Toolkit. However, concept maps can be opened on the web with CmapTools.

Posted by Muesser Cemal Nat

10: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 9 02/11/10 07:19 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Muesser,

I had a closer look and downloaded the CmapTools to my desktop. However, do you know where's the webstart to add this a webpage?

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

11: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 10 02/12/10 04:40 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I may be wrong, but IMHO there is no webstart version. The CMAP client will directly talk a CMAP server for (optional) uploading/downloading

Trouble with CMAP is that most of the doc are a big lot of CMAPs (IMHO overuse of concept maps).

Anyhow, in http://tinyurl.com/2pmy9d I don't see any webstart version.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

3: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 1 05/07/09 07:24 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I'm of the opinion that we should use the KISS (Keep It Short and Simple) principle in this case, and keeping the title as "Mind Map" would be the best way to do this.

The difference between "mind map" and "concept map" is fairly insignificant, as:

- 'mind map' is a diagram that represents words, ideas &c linked around a central theme.
- 'concept map' is a diagram that shows the relationships between concepts.

I think that Liviu's tool is better suited to creating 'mind maps', as 'concept maps' typically have additional information on the connecting branches that explain the type of relationship (is, includes, shows, &c) between the concepts; we can't do this yet in the LAMS tool.

- http://www.ericdigests.org/1998-1/concept.htm

Posted by Jeremy Page

5: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 3 05/18/09 06:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I agree that KISS is important and the difference is insignificance.

When mindmap activity is selected in the brief summary ofh awhat id does we could add mindmap/concept map Tool instead mind map tool

8: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 3 02/11/10 03:55 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The difference may be insignificant in terms of graphing, but pedagogically speaking it is not. There is actually an enormous difference between what typical mind map people and typical concept map people advocate. Btw. the learning theory/psychology behind is also very different. Mind mappers are into left/right brain vodoo stuff, concept mappers into learning psychology.

Mind map: brainstorming, de-assembling a concept, etc., size is usually huge

Concept map: think & integrate, size is usually small.

A technical difference other than being able to label arcs is that most concept mapping software allows users to annotate nodes, even add files to it. CMAP, VUE and Compendium are such systems.

Btw all of these are stand-alone applications (integration with LAMS difficult). The only decent online system I know and that can do concept maps is (commercial) webspiration.

Posted by Daniel Schneider

12: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 3 06/08/18 05:42 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Mind maps are use to generate ideas or it is most useful in brainstorming and can be drawn on even a price of paper as a sketch. Concept maps are used to illustrate and explain a concept to an audience. It normally requires a concept map maker to draw concept diagrams

Posted by Shalin Siriwardhana

13: Re: Re: Re: Μind Map or Concept/Mind Map
In response to 12 06/08/18 11:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Every teacher has her or his own style of teaching. More teachers are adjusting their approach depending on their students’ learning needs.

Both are educational techniques that they have pros and cons.

MIND MAP

A mind map is a diagram used to visually organize information. A mind map is hierarchical and shows relationships among pieces of the whole. It is often created around a single concept, drawn as an image in the center of a blank page, to which associated representations of ideas such as images, words and parts of words are added. Major ideas are connected directly to the central concept, and other ideas branch out from those.

A central topic declares the subject of the mind map. First-level topics, sometimes known as “basic ordering ideas,” define the scope of the topic to be covered by the mind map. Sub-topivcs radiating from them are known as “child topics.” A mind map may contain as many layers of topics and subtopics needed to met the mind map’s purpose. Topics may be embellished with shape colors, fonts, size and ciolor. In addition, icons and images can be attached to mind maps.

Mind maps:
Tend to be more flexible and personal than concept maps.
Are used to slice and dice the map’s central topic or concept in multiple ways.
May contain images and color, to make them more visually stimulating
Topics may only have a single parent

CONCEPT MAP

A concept map or conceptual diagram is a diagram that depicts suggested relationships between concepts. It is a graphical tool that instructional designers, engineers, technical writers, and others use to organize and structure knowledge.
A concept map typically represents ideas and information as boxes or circles, which it connects with labeled arrows in a downward-branching hierarchical structure. The relationship between concepts can be articulated in linking phrases such as causes, requires, or contributes to.

Concept maps:
Are commonly used to organize and represent tacit knowledge.
Usually contain general concepts at the top of the map, with more specific concepts arrayed hierarchically below.
Connector lines usually contains keywords or phrases that summarize the relationship between the topics they connect. Such as topic a “causes” topic B.
Topics may be cross-linked with each other to depict more complex relationships between topics. Topics in mind maps may only have one parent; in a concept map, a topic may have multiple connector lines, each one representing a different relationship.

---------------

I use both, I find mind maps are fantastic when brain storming or trying to understand an idea which then gets translated into a document, presentation or training course as they are quick get all info on one page and you have to decide when to stop!!! Saying that a limitation is the single parent is a poor excuse as you can map and sub map or as I do use a map to scope a single piece of work

I use concept maps when I have a specific issue / task I want to work throughto identify potential solutions or way forward.

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum