Forum Getting Started: Re: password recovery

Search: 

2: Re: password recovery
In response to 1 03/19/07 05:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jeffrey,

With the sysadmin user you can change any user's password by editing their profile via the 'Sys Admin->Find Users' screen. But if you've forgotten the sysadmin password itself? You can change it by editing the lams_user table in the database.

1. Just login to MySQL using the command line client, or your MySQL client of choice (I'll assume using the command line client):

shell> mysql -u root -p

Type in your root password when prompted.

2. At the mysql prompt, do the following:

mysql> use lams
mysql> update lams_user set password=sha1('new password') where user_id=1;
mysql> select user_id,login,password from lams_user where user_id=1;

Change 'use lams' to 'lams2' if you used the Windows installer (or whatever you called it if you chose not to use the default).

You should be able to login using your new password straight away.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Re: password recovery
In response to 2 03/20/07 07:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for the tip Jun-Dir. In the end the grey matter (finally) kicked in but it's handy to have this for reference. One more matter while you're there, so to speak. I've downloaded version 2.0.1 with languages update but so far I've only managed to view the authoring environment in English and not as I'd hoped in Italian. Evidently I'm missing something somewhere. I tried manaually changing the language setting in the Admin settings from "EN_aus" to "italiano" but this had no effect. Does it depend on the setting I chose when installing 2.0?
Thanks once again for your help.
Ciao for now,
Jeff

Posted by Jeffrey Earp

4: Re: Re: Re: password recovery
In response to 3 03/20/07 03:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jeff,

If you want your server to run in Italiano, change the sysadmin setting from EN_AU to it_IT, save, logout and see that the login page should now read in Italian. So from then on, all the users you add to the system will have Italian as their language.

Now, note that the users you created *before* have another language setting.

In LAMS2, you can set up language for the whole server (as I mentioned before) but also each user can set up what language they would like to use. The rationale behind this is that there might be some users that require a different language than the one set for the whole server i.e.: language students for instance.

So if you currently have a user that is in English and would like to change his/her language, you can do this individually by going to My Profile --> Edit Profile and then select a language from the dropdown list. Save, logout and next time you login you see all in the language you selected.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Getting Started