Forum Getting Started: HTML noticeboard

You may request notification for HTML noticeboard.
Search: 

1: HTML noticeboard
10/27/05 04:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I'm curious as to the rationale behind the HTML noticeboard. Anyone care to elucidate?

Posted by Peter Miller

2: Re: HTML noticeboard
In response to 1 10/27/05 05:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It has quite a lot of advantages.

For instance, you can add pictures to your Noticeboards (as long as those pictures are somewhere on the web). Additionally, since you can insert *any* HTML tag you can have very rich interfaces and add as much JavaScript as you like (think of quizzes, Google maps, videos, flash animations, etc). As an example, have a look at the attached picture where I was able to insert a Flash movie in the HTML Noticeboard to create a Sequence that "teaches" how to use LAMS in Moodle.

However, I must say that in order to take advantage of the HTML editor, you have to know HTML tags in order to use it. As the HTML noticeboard only takes HTML code.

Nevertheless, there are a few really good WYSIWYG HTML editors online that you can use to create really nice web pages with knowing any HTML tags. For instance, the one we will be using in LAMS 1.1 for almost all tools is the FCK editor (http://fckeditor.net). This editor is super powerful and supported in IE, Firefox and shortly on Safari too.

For the current HTML editor, you could use the FCK demo page (http://fckeditor.net/demo/default.html), to create your HTML pages with a nice graphical interface and then copy/paste the HTML code straight into the HTML Noticeboard.

In addition, HTML Noticeboard allows you to use iframes so you can effectively add a third party web resource straight into a LAMS noticeboard.

So I think it does allow a fair bit of flexibility for different scenarios.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Attachments:
3: Re: Re: HTML noticeboard
In response to 2 10/28/05 09:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks, Ernie. Sounds good -- certainly simpler for both student and teacher than using Share Resources.

Posted by Peter Miller

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Getting Started