Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: new user does not see existing activities

You may request notification for new user does not see existing activities.
Search: 

1: new user does not see existing activities
08/30/07 02:50 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

LAMS v 2.0.3 on OSX Server.

I have a group with some lessons posted in it (3 MCQ style lessons). When I add a new user to the group and login as that user, they are presented with a blank listing under "My Groups" instead of seeing the MCQ activities the other students see.

Am I missing something obvious here?

~ Rodney

Posted by Rodney Tamblyn

2: Re: new user does not see existing activities
In response to 1 08/30/07 04:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rodney,

It is simple but not obvious.

When you start a lesson, the second tab on the add lesson wizard "Select Students and Staff" allow you to select which learners from a group can do the lesson. Normally the list is left with everyone ticked and everyone can do the lesson.

But what LAMS actually does is create a lesson class just for that lesson which is a list of those learners.

This allows teachers to start a class an omit a student who is sick, on holidays, etc.

When you add a new user to the group, they don't get added to the lesson classes that already exist. You need to go into Monitor for each existing lesson and find the Edit Class button on the Lesson tab (about halfway down the page).

Click on Edit Class and you will get a window very similar to the one you got when the lesson started. The new user should be on the learner list but not checked. Check the box and click Save then when the user refreshes their My Groups page, they should be able to see the lesson.

Once a lesson has started, you can use Edit Class to add users to either the staff list (which allows them to use Monitor) or the lesson class for learner access. But you cannot remove users from either list.

Regards,

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum