Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Submit File Bug?

You may request notification for Submit File Bug?.
Search: 

1: Submit File Bug?
09/01/09 01:06 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have tested a simple submit file activity as a stand alone activity and as part of a sequence by deploying it as a lesson on the foundation server.

When, in the monitor, I add a mark to a student learner and add feedback I get the following error:

Sorry, there has been an error.
There is a problem processing this request. Close the browser window and try again. If the problem persists please contact your system administrator or the technical forums on http://lamscommunity.org/.
org.springframework.dao.DataIntegrityViolationException: Hibernate transaction synchronization: Could not execute JDBC batch update; SQL [update tl_lasbmt11_report set comments=?, marks=?, date_marks_released=? where report_id=?]; Data truncation: Data too long for column 'comments' at row 1; nested exception is java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Data truncation: Data too long for column 'comments' at row 1 Hide detail
org.springframework.dao.DataIntegrityViolationException: Hibernate transaction synchronization: Could not execute JDBC batch update; SQL [update tl_lasbmt11_report set comments=?, marks=?, date_marks_released=? where report_id=?]; Data truncation: Data too long for column

It appears that there is some limit to the amount of feedback. I get this error when my feedback is a paragraph or two but I do not get the error if my feedback is just a few words like "good job!".

Is there a limit to the amount of feedback one can post with marks or is this just a bug?

Posted by Neal Hirsig

2: Re: Submit File Bug?
In response to 1 09/01/09 04:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Neal,

This is a bug indeed.

The main issue here is that the comments are restricted to only 250 characters. However, I have created this task http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2435 so it gets increased to a text field. A text field will allow thousands of lines of comments now.

Thank you,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Submit File Bug?
In response to 2 09/02/09 12:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie

Thank you once again for your prompt and informative replies. I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Thanks for adding this to the JIRA issues tracker. It would be useful, I think, if possible, to add the FCK web editor to the feedback portion of the marking as well. This would allow instructors to format and present more extensive feedback including images and links to supporting documents. It would also allow instructors to use the FCK Video tool to present feedback by personal video which would be fabulous!

Neal Hirsig
Tufts University

Posted by Neal Hirsig

4: Re: Re: Re: Submit File Bug?
In response to 3 09/02/09 03:59 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Neal,

I'll add the FCKeditor to the task as well. That shouldn't be too hard.

In addition, in the latest version release this week, LAMS 2.3.2, Submit Files allows teachers to review the sent document, do modifications or add comments to it and then upload it again for the student to continue working on the reviewed copy. See http://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-2385.

LAMS 2.3.2 is now available for download.

Thanks,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum