Forum Higher Ed & Training Forum: Re: Communities of practice

Search: 

3: Re: Communities of practice
In response to 1 09/30/05 08:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I don't know if this Community of Practice will thrive. I saw LAMS at a workshop at ALT-C this month and I think it is very interesting. If lots of people interested in LAMS come here and talk to each other then it probably will.
I am a member of Moodle.org and the mix of users, configurers and developers seems to work quite well there.
I am not sure about this community, who it is for and how it will develop.
I know that LAMS is Open Source but I am curious to know how LAMS future development will be organised - will it use a typical OSS organisational strcucture (if there is such a thing).

Posted by Frances Bell

4: Re: Re: Communities of practice
In response to 3 10/03/05 10:04 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Frances,

We are working on the LAMS Road Map and hopefully we'll put it here in the community for everyone to see where LAMS is heading.

I believe you might find an answer on how LAMS is structured in the LAMS Foundation website, in the FAQ section (http://lamsfoundation.org/CD/html/faqs.html).

The current structure of the LAMS Community is very simple (and we will try to keep it like that). One Educational Community for teachers with very few subgroups according to the sector (K12, Higher Ed, etc). Then the LAMS Lounge to talk basically about anything (similar to the General Forum in Moodle.org). And a Tech Community for people who like to get under the hood. Every one is free to join (or drop) these communities as they please.

One of the main features of the LAMS Community is the central repository of LAMS sequence (http://lamscommunity.org/lamscentral) where anyone can share their sequences with the anyone, comment, rate them, etc.

It took us a while to get this site up and running. But I think (hopefully) that it provides some tools for LAMS practitioners to share experiences, share sequences and ask questions and get support from their peers. Of course, this doesn't make it automatically a successful community, but it helps.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Higher Ed & Training Forum