Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Import Users from file...

You may request notification for Import Users from file....
Search: 

1: Import Users from file...
03/25/06 12:05 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Anyone else experienced problems with "importing users from file"?

I've used the template file, removed the dummy-persons and added 30 new names. Filled in the blanks and imported, no error messages - so far so good.

But, start using the usernames is not possible. I think I've found what's wrong. Every username have got an extra character added in the end.

I have identified this extra character as the ASCII "null character"!

It is a challenge to type this character for my 30 users - and since it is not possible to delete users or overwrite - is my only opportunity to cerate 30 new users?

Posted by Anders Grov Nilsen

2: Re: Import Users from file...
In response to 1 03/26/06 05:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
If the text entered into the spreadsheet isn't 'just right', then the library that handles the importing from the spreadsheet might have trouble. In most cases it is fine. Did you paste the usernames from somewhere?

As you probably already know, you're not allowed to update usernames in Admin - but you can in the database. So if you're comfortable with editing the database by hand, you could rename your 30 users, otherwise 30 new users sounds like the way to go.

For those familiar with SQL, the table you need to update is called 'tbl_user', and the column 'login'. The change should take effect immediately.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum