Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Maths Symbols and Equations

You may request notification for Maths Symbols and Equations.
Search: 

1: Maths Symbols and Equations
05/04/06 12:20 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
* This post is a copy of one made originally in the Higher Ed/Training community

Ever wondered if you could use mathematical symbols in your LAMS sequences? Now you can! (click me for a screenshot in action)

To setup jsMath, you need to upload the jsMath zip file to your LAMS server (using Share Resources). Then to use it, you'll need to learn a bit about TeX commands (the bottom of this post for an example). See the jsMath website for more examples.

Here are the instructions on using jsMath with LAMS, taken from the example sequence using jsMath in the higher-ed sequence repository.

Before using this sequence, you'll need to have uploaded the jsMath packages using Share Resources.

• Download jsMath-3.2b.zip (240KB) and jsMath-fonts-1.3.zip (7.5MB) from http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsmath/download/jsMath.html.

• unzip these files to the same location, e.g. C:\jsMath, and then zip the entire C:\jsMath folder into one .zip file (this step is important, to put the package as one file which you can upload using Share Resources).

• use these instructions to upload jsMath - but instead of selecting 'shared file', select 'shared website'.

see screnshot of shared website

• once you have the 4 digit number after uploading your zip file, you're ready to use jsMath. In the above screenshot, the 4 digit number is '1031'. This is the upload directory where jsMath was uploaded. So to use jsMath, I'd paste the code below into a HTML Noticeboard:

• <SCRIPT SRC="/upload/1031/jsMath/jsMath.js"></SCRIPT>
    <DIV CLASS="math"> \sum_{i=1}^{n} i = {n(n+1)\over 2} </DIV>
    <SCRIPT> jsMath.ProcessBeforeShowing() </SCRIPT>

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
    Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum