Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: How to turn off browser compatibility warning?

You may request notification for How to turn off browser compatibility warning?.
Search: 

1: How to turn off browser compatibility warning?
01/03/07 09:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I am using a browser that works fine (JREX built upon Gecko) and yet in LAMS 2.0 I get:

"Your browser might not be compatible with LAMS. We recomend Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or higher."

How can I turn off that warning?

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

2: Re: How to turn off browser compatibility warning?
In response to 1 01/07/07 07:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The short answer is you can't turn it off, without hacking the source code (in login.jsp).

But it is an interesting point - it probably is just as "compatible" as Firefox as they are both using Gecko. In fact, many of the browsers using Gecko may work find with LAMS - depending on how well they handle some of the javascript.

But our compatibility test is only for browsers that we make an attempt to test. We can't test on every Gecko based browser - we'd need a fulltime team of testers for that!

Ken, I know you are doing some special stuff with LAMS, so will this be a browser that your users will be using?

Turning off the compatibility test at system level probably isn't a good idea, and I'm not sure on the best way to do it for an individual user. It would probably have to be an option that the user sets in their personal profile.

Any feedback from anyone else? If your browser is IE 6, IE 7, Firefox 1.5 or greater then you don't get a compatibility warning. Any other browser will trigger a warning. Is this going to be a significant issue for other people?

btw, we don't support Opera or Safari due to problems with the FCKEditor. These aren't problems we can fix so there won't be Opera or Safari support in the near future.

Regards,

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: How to turn off browser compatibility warning?
In response to 2 01/08/07 07:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi. Thanks.

In my situation editing login.jsp to accept my browser seems the best way to go. This is rather special to the way my tool works where it needs to run full Java in the client browser.

Best,

-ken

Posted by Ken Kahn

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum