Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure

You may request notification for LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure
02/23/07 08:26 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi all,

I'm attempting to export a sequence from the LAMS 2.0 author and I'm getting the following error:

'Learning design export failed'

The reason ends '...service.ExportToolContentException]'.

I've seen this in the bugs list but it is marked as complete I believe:

https://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LDEV-384;jsessionid=B62A0C08D175EFD78B82BD276B74E83F?page=all

Anyone know a way around this? I've tried exporting under different logins to no avail. Export was previously possible before LAMS/Moodle integration. I'm currently trying the export from within LAMS as a standalone (ie not thru Moodle).

Thanks,

Kris

PS The parameters passed in the querystring are 'method', 'learningDesignID' and 'format' and all have values ('export', 242 and 1).

Posted by Kristian Besley

2: Re: LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure
In response to 1 02/26/07 06:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Kris,

Moodle/LAMS integration shouldn't make any difference to the export, as the export isn't using any of the integration details. Its more likely to be a hassle with that particular design. Have you tried exporting another design?

I suspect the problem you are seeing reported isn't the actual "real" problem. Occasionally with the export, an error occurs, which triggers another bit of the code to fail. Unfortunately it is the second failure that is reported, and its the first failure that is the real problem.

Could you post the logs? The details on which logs are useful is on Creating Debug Logs page on the wiki.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure
In response to 2 02/27/07 08:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

I've tried exporting other sequences and they appear to be fine. My colleague can't recall which object it was she was trying to export, so I'll wait until she remembers and switch on the debugging then.

Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment. I'll get back to you when I know!

Thanks,

Kris

Posted by Kristian Besley

4: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0 Export Tool Failure
In response to 3 03/06/07 05:54 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
This is a followup to let everyone know what has happened with Kris' export issue.

The error in the log was:

16:33:56,965 [http-0.0.0.0-8080-3:] ERROR org.lamsfoundation.lams.learningdesign.service.ExportToolContentService - org.lamsfoundation.lams.util.zipfile.ZipFileUtilException: An error has occurred while trying to zip the files. Error message is:
16:33:56,965 [http-0.0.0.0-8080-3:] ERROR org.lamsfoundation.lams.authoring.web.ExportToolContentAction - Unable to export tool content: org.lamsfoundation.lams.learningdesign.service.ExportToolContentException: org.lamsfoundation.lams.util.zipfile.ZipFileUtilException: An error has occurred while trying to zip the files. Error message is:

Now, this error isn't very helpful! I have tried to improve the error in LAMS 2.0.1 so hopefully if it reoccurs it will give us more of an idea.

The problem was related to a file uploaded using the HTML editor in authoring. For some reason, the code that creates the export file (which is a zip file) couldn't get the uploaded file. We checked and the file did exist on the server. They tried deleting the problem file and re-uploading the file into the learning design and then they were able to export the learning design just fine.

So it looks like it is something weird with how their Windows server "hangs on" to files. We are still looking into what it could be that triggered the problem, but we don't think it is an issue with LAMS itself.

If anyone encounters a similar problem, particularly with 2.0.1 (due real soon now!) can you please post?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum