Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!

You may request notification for LAMS 2.0.1 is out!.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
03/09/07 12:28 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Everyone,

The installer/upgrader for LAMS2.0.1 in Windows is now out! :-)

LAMS 2.0.1 includes improvements and lots of bug fixes as reported by some of you here in the community. It also includes all language files upto March 9th, 2007.

Many thanks to Luke Foxton for his excellent work on this Windows installer/upgrader. In addition, to all the development team, the translators and all people in the community for your patience and support!

You can find the installer at the Windows installer help page along with all the instructions.

If you encounter any problems with the installer, please let us know.

Thank you,

Ernie

PS: Unix installer/upgrader will follow shortly as well.

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 1 03/12/07 09:17 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Ernie,
I tried to upgrade with the Windows installer
but I had some problems. First of all I use
the XAMPP platform on a local computer and LAMS
has a problem finding MySQL in that environment.
We had made LAMS 2.0 work well though. When installing
2.0.1 you don't get to set a search path for MySQL.
Then I got an: "Error setting up ant"-message.
See attachment for details.

Cheers, Anders

Posted by Anders Berggren

Attachments:
3: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 2 03/13/07 12:31 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Anders,

I remember the problems we had getting 2.0 working!

We did do a change to the installers so they would support XAMPP but we must have missed something. I have asked Luke to look into the MySQL problem tomorrow.

Looking at the error log, I don't think anything significant has been changed. All the deletes and removes that you can see in the log are just temporary files.

So you should be able to start LAMS (using the normal start link) and 2.0 should still run until we can sort out the installer problem.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

11: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 3 03/14/07 03:32 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,
Sorry to bother again ;-).
I couldn't start LAMS that way.
I think the installer has updated
parts of the directories and files
in the original LAMS directory. At
least there's an apache-ant directory
that wasn't there before. I just renamed
the first bak-directory to 'lams' thouugh
and I then was 'on the road again'. I'm not
in a hurry. I can wait till the installer
has been fixed.

Good problem hunting!
Anders

Posted by Anders Berggren

14: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 11 03/14/07 03:59 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
See below Anders - it was fixed before you posted this message! :-)

Posted by Timothy Allen

6: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 2 03/13/07 05:19 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yes I have exactly the same problem - using my MySQL installation from XAMPP, but it's not upgrading. The same symptoms as you described. I will watch this space to see whether this problem can be fixed.

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

9: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 2 03/14/07 12:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
There is a new installer at
http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Downloads
which should fix all you probems.

Please let me know how it goes

Luke Foxton

Posted by Luke Foxton

10: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 9 03/14/07 01:47 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Luke,

I have tested the new package and it works! Thank you so much for fixing the bug so quickly.

I notice on the download page that there is a binary package for linux/unix/Mac for LAMS 2.0. Just clarifying, is this LAMS 2.0 or LAMS 2.0.1?

Thanks again,
Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

12: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 10 03/14/07 03:33 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Tim,

The linux/unix/Mac for LAMS 2.0 is LAMS 2.0, NOT LAMS 2.0.1

Now that we have another version of the windows installer out, Luke can get started on the linux/unix/Mac version for 2.0.1.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

13: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 9 03/14/07 04:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
To clarify Luke's message - the downloads page now has a new version of the 2.0.1 installer. You can tell the new one from the old version by the name - when you download it the name will be LAMS-2.0.1-200703141739.exe, rather than LAMS-2.0.1.

This should fix the two main problems:
* the ant error message
* the MySQL path problem in XAMPP environments.

We don't know exactly why the ant error message was appearing - we think it was a problem deleting the LAMS 2.0 temporary files. We think that LAMS hadn't fully shutdown or that some other program had a lock on some temporary files. We weren't reporting the errors with deleting the temporary files isn't essential.

If there is a problem deleting files, you will now get an error message. This will give you a chance to delete them manually and then rerun the installer.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

4: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 1 03/13/07 02:24 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi!

I've got the same ant problem. Thus, I uninstalled the previous version completely and try to install lams2 but failed. I got http 404 error. It seems that there is no index.jsp page.

I found that the smtp configuration was set to a smtp server at Melcore(lams configuration table). Should it be user's smtp server address?

I will try to install the previous version to check that the error came from other factors rather than from lams 2.0.1.

Thanks.

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

5: Re: Re: Now it's working.
In response to 4 03/13/07 02:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi!

I could install Lams 2.0.1 successfully using port 8180.

Thanks for Lams 2.0.1.

Best Wishes,

Jong-Dae Park

Posted by Jong-Dae Park

7: Re: Re: Re: Now it's working
In response to 5 03/13/07 05:23 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jong--dae, this is Tim from Sydney! I hope you are well.

I am just trying to install LAMS 2.0.1 but have this problem. It seems that you were able to overcome this problem by doing a fresh installation. I might try this later.

Your error perhaps indicated that there was a conflict on the default port for Jboss, the java server - maybe another service using it or something. Anyway, it is good to know it is fixed for you!

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

8: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 4 03/13/07 04:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Jong-Dae,

The SMTP server should be set to the user's SMTP address. It isn't actually used at the moment, so it won't do any damage right now.

But I've asked Luke to make sure our address in not included in any future installers. I have raised this as bug https://bugs.lamsfoundation.org/browse/LI-71

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

15: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 8 03/14/07 05:51 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Folks,

I'm about ready to cry. I've was testing this installer most of the afternoon and I was just triple checking something this evening and I've found another problem.

When you do an upgrade from LAMS 2.0 to 2.0.1, there are some "junk" directories in the lams.ear. They are actually files relating to our source code archives. The result is that export portfolio doesn't work. It only happens if you do an upgrade - if you do a clean install then it isn't a problem.

Also two of the language files are out of date.

The only good thing is that it is relatively simple for you to fix on your own installations - so for everyone that has already installed, you don't need to try to uninstall.

How do you fix it? Find the lams-central.war directory. If you use the standard install path, that will be C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-central.war

Have a look in all the lams-central.war directory and all its subdirectories. You will see directories called "CVS". Delete the "CVS" directories and their  contents (usually three files called Entries, Repository and Root). Don't delete any other directories - just the CVS directories.

Once the CVS directories are deleted, export portfolio should work fine.

I have attached a screen dump, so you can see some of the directories.

The two language files that are out of date are two Portuguese files. I will attach them in the following postings, and tell you where to put them. If you don't use Portuguese, then you can ignore these two files - LAMS will run fine in all other languages.

I hope you will forgive this oversight. I don't know how many times I tested export portfolio, but I must have tested it against the full install, not the upgrade.

A very tired and frustrated Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
16: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 15 03/14/07 05:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The attached file goes in
C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-central.war\flashxml\monitoring\pt_BR_dictionary.xml

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
17: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 16 03/14/07 05:58 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Final posting for the night hopefully.

The attached file goes in

C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-central.war\flashxml\wizard\pt_BR_dictionary.xml

Both of these pt_BR_dictionary.xml files replace the existing pt_BR_dictionary.xml files in the two directories.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

18: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 17 03/14/07 06:02 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
The file attachment failed. Maybe I can't upload two files with the same name.

The attached file needs to go in as C:\lams\jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-central.war\flashxml\wizard\pt_BR_dictionary.xml

so you will need to rename this attached file.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
20: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 18 03/14/07 07:22 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Fiona,

I made all the changes you suggested and then loaded an sequence into the design screen. I then exported it in both LD and LAMS formats without apparent problems.

I then tried to import it back in from the exported files.

When I tried to import the IMS LD format export file I got the following error message:

=========================================================

Import tool content
Learning design import failed

The reason is [org.lamsfoundation.lams.learningdesign.service.ImportToolContentException]

=========================================================

However, importing the LAMS format file seemed to work successfully.

Just a FYI,
Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

21: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 20 03/14/07 04:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Tim,

Thanks for the kind words in your earlier posting.

The LD is only "export" at the moment. You can't import it back in.

If you want to import it in, you have to use the LAMS format.

So your problem is not unexpected.

But we obviously don't say that on the screen, or you wouldn't have tried it. :->

I've just raised a task to add a clarification message on the screen in LAMS 2.0.2.

Thanks for the feedback.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

19: Re: Re: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.1 is out!
In response to 15 03/14/07 06:41 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,

No problem! In fact I congratulate you on being so vigilant that you noticed this problem before anyone else did. I lazily assumed it had gone ok because I didn't check all the functions.

No data is lost so all is well. Thanks for the detailed instructions. I will apply them, but in the meantime please have a break, we can't afford the midnight oil these days! ;-)

Cheers,
Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum