Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux

You may request notification for Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux.
Search: 

1: Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux
03/13/07 05:27 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi folks,

I installed LAMS 2.0 from source on Fedora Linux using instructions from various places.

Now that 2.0.1 is out, what is the best way to upgrade? When will there be a binary package available for Linux?

TIA,
Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

2: Re: Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux
In response to 1 03/13/07 04:32 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Tim,

It is possible to upgrade really really manually - ie recompile the source and run a whole pile of db upgrade scripts. But you are probably better to wait until we have a binary package, if you can wait.

When will it be available? We were due to start on it today, but with the problems people are reporting with the Windows installer and XAMPP we will have to address that instead.

So I'm not going to promise any date on the Unix binary - I will talk to Ernie today about when we can get it done. If we can't get a Unix binary done pretty soon, I'll look at doing some manual upgrade instructions suitable for building from source - but they won't be pretty.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux
In response to 2 03/14/07 04:05 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for the feedback Fiona - I understand how time-consuming programming can be, so I appreciate all the dedication of everyone there.

I suppose that if I managed to install it from source for 2.0, I could probably do it for 2.0.1, but the problem is remembering all the steps. Anyway, I wonder if it is just a matter of copying the new files over the old ones (after doing backups) and then following the same steps as before...

Tim.

Posted by Timothy Allen

4: Re: Re: Re: Upgrading to LAMS 2.0.1 on Linux
In response to 3 03/14/07 06:06 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Tim,

It depends on whether or not you want to keep your data as some of the tables in the database have changed.

If you don't care about keeping your data then
* Go into LAMS 2.0 and go to authoring. Export any designs that you want to keep
* Check out a fresh copy from CVS and rebuild manually.
* When running, import any designs that you exported.

If you want to keep your data, you will need to wait for an upgrader or my manual instructions.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum