Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.0.2 bulk import users - now 2 XLS? wondering why?

You may request notification for LAMS 2.0.2 bulk import users - now 2 XLS? wondering why?.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.0.2 bulk import users - now 2 XLS? wondering why?
04/02/07 12:21 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
just got caught out with my LAMS 2.0 import users spreadsheet changing format for 2.0.2 - now 2 seperate spreadsheets.

user details
user roles

this isn't a criticism, I'm just curious on why the change?

thanx
barry.b

Posted by barry beattie

2: Re: LAMS 2.0.2 bulk import users - now 2 XLS? wondering why?
In response to 1 04/02/07 12:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi

Yep, the format did change - from 2.0.1 onwards. See the note at the top of http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Import+Users. There were 2 main reasons:

1. Splitting the import into 'users' and 'users' roles' allows you to import the same user into multiple groups or subgroups. In 1.0.x, you would have to import the spreadsheet multiple times, navigating to each organisation each time. In 2.0 you would only be able to import the user into 1 group, and that would be it. In 2.0.1+ you can have a row for each group membership, which fits in with the 'bulk import' intention of the spreadsheet.

2. With the users in the user spreadsheet no longer linked to particular organisations and their IDs, the user spreadsheet is more portable as a backup. Since those id numbers won't be the same in other LAMS server instances.

Fiona sends her apologies on not highlighting the change... I did it soon after conference/2.0 release in early December, I think it must have been forgotten.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum