Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?

You may request notification for Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?.
Search: 

1: Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?
04/20/07 12:56 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?

I ask because I'm making a change in the authoring environment and then (on another machine) reviewing the changes and... only seeing the old version...

admittedly, I'm cheating and using a test student who has actually finished the lesson...

but it feels that there is a version saved for each sequence for each lesson (and that I'm editing the master sequence but the lessons' sequence has been "versioned off" and remains unchanged).

is this a correct guess?

NOTE: this isn't a problem, in fact for auditing reasons this is a good thing ("but Sir! it didn't look like that before - honest").

I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy on a Friday a'noon or hitting some nasty caching problem.

thanx
b

Posted by barry beattie

2: Re: Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?
In response to 1 04/20/07 02:43 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Well, actually, we are working on an improvement at the moment that will allow the sequence to change after lesson has started, so the student will be able to say "but Sir! it didn't look like that before - honest". But it will be under the control of the teacher, so Sir should know about it.....

But to answer your question. Yes, sequences are versioned.

When you start a lesson a copy of the sequence is made. We don't copy all the linked files (to save disk space) but we do copy the records in the database.

If you look in the folder for the course/class and then at the lesson sequence folder within the course/class folder, you will see all the different versions that have been run as a lesson. To keep the names unique, we append the date that the sequence was copied.

So if you run a lesson, change the sequence in authoring and then decided you didn't like the modified version but wanted to go back to your original that worked well in class, you can open the runtime copy in authoring, do a "save as" (the runtime version is read only) and then you have reverted back to an old version.

So if people wonder why there are all those horrible extra copies in the runtime folder - that's why they are there - so you can get to them and reuse them.

For this reason, to see how your changes are coming out, you need to run preview in authoring.

By the way, when you run preview, it does the same copy and starts a lesson. But you won't see the preview copies - they are hidden so they don't confuse people. But they are actually there in the database, so if you ever have a teacher delete a sequence that has been previewed but never run as a proper lesson then a spot of judicious database editing will magically retrieve it. But that's completely unsupported so I won't tell you how here.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Does a sequence "version" get saved for each lesson?
In response to 2 04/22/07 05:27 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> But it will be under the control of the teacher, so Sir should know all about it.....

give 'em enough rope, eh?

I support a quiz/testing app and I've had the occasional dumkoff get a test going, have half a class complete it and _then_ realise that they haven't given the correct answers any marks ... or not assigned any correct answers at all!

to err is human, but it takes a computer to make a real mess of it....

Posted by barry beattie

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum