Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Install on Host Server?

You may request notification for Install on Host Server?.
Search: 

1: Install on Host Server?
06/27/07 07:46 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,
Although I have used LAMS as a trial, I need clarification please. I use moodle and have the proper LAMS2 Module all set up.

Here is where I am confused:

1) Can I install the interface to LAMS onto my host-provided server? Is this unnecessary?
2) If I install the windows version onto my laptop, then how would my students use the activities when my computer is turned off?
3) Or do the created lessons I author and put into the moodle-LAMS module run from there?

Please help me. Thanks!

Posted by Enrico marcosian

2: Re: Install on Host Server?
In response to 1 06/27/07 08:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Enrico,

You do need a separate LAMS server somewhere, not just the Moodle-LAMS module. This is what you see as the "interface to LAMS".

If you put the LAMS server on your laptop, then the students cannot access the activities when the laptop is turned off.

So you have to either get the LAMS server onto your host-provided server or get access to another LAMS server that someone else (like LAMS International) runs.

To install a LAMS server requires running MySQL, Java and JBoss, so not all host providers will allow you to install that software. For more details on the requirements to run LAMS, see System Requirements page. On this page we mention an Apache server - you would not have to have another Apache server as you are calling LAMS from Moodle.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Install on Host Server?
In response to 2 06/28/07 03:51 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for clarifying this for me.
LAMS International is way too much per year for my occasional single-teacher use.

Hopefully my school will install LAMS in the lab for me, but they may not since it may be too "cutting-edge" for them.

Well, thanks again!

Posted by Enrico marcosian

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum