Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue

You may request notification for Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue.
Search: 

1: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
09/26/07 01:29 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi,

I've succeeded in integrating LAMS and SAKAI from its source code by following this guide: http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lams/Sakai, however, I am having some trouble in runtime.

When I select LAMS v2 tool from my site on SAKAI, I click on "List Items", then I selected my content and click on the "Next" button.

An "Add/Update Item" form appears, then I type the title, introduction, etc, and when I click on "Add/Update Item" an error comes up:

Error

An unexpected error has occurred.

Send a bug report

To send a bug report, describe what you were doing when the problem occurred, in the space below, and press the submit button.

With the following exception:
org.sakaiproject.portal.api.PortalHandlerException: org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ToolException: Error calling action method of component with id addUpdateItem:_id28
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.handlers.ToolHandler.doPost(ToolHandler.java:63)
caused by: org.sakaiproject.tool.api.ToolException: Error calling action method of component with id addUpdateItem:_id28
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.SkinnableCharonPortal.forwardTool(SkinnableCharonPortal.java:1099)
caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: Error calling action method of component with id addUpdateItem:_id28
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
caused by: javax.faces.FacesException: Error calling action method of component with id addUpdateItem:_id28
at javax.faces.component.UICommand.broadcast(UICommand.java:106)
caused by: javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: Exception while invoking expression #{LamstwoBean.processActionAdd}
at org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:63)
caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException
at org.lamsfoundation.lams.integrations.sakai.tool.jsf.LamstwoBean.processActionAdd(LamstwoBean.java:220)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
at org.apache.myfaces.el.MethodBindingImpl.invoke(MethodBindingImpl.java:129)
at org.apache.myfaces.application.ActionListenerImpl.processAction(ActionListenerImpl.java:63)
at javax.faces.component.UICommand.broadcast(UICommand.java:106)
at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot._broadcastForPhase(UIViewRoot.java:90)
at javax.faces.component.UIViewRoot.processApplication(UIViewRoot.java:164)
at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.invokeApplication(LifecycleImpl.java:316)
at org.apache.myfaces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.execute(LifecycleImpl.java:86)
at javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:106)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
at org.sakaiproject.util.RequestFilter.doFilter(RequestFilter.java:555)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:188)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:691)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:469)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:403)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:301)
at org.sakaiproject.jsf.util.JsfTool.dispatch(JsfTool.java:221)
at org.sakaiproject.jsf.util.JsfTool.doPost(JsfTool.java:256)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.java:691)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispatcher.java:469)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:364)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.java:301)
at org.sakaiproject.tool.impl.ActiveToolComponent$MyActiveTool.forward(ActiveToolComponent.java:441)
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.SkinnableCharonPortal.forwardTool(SkinnableCharonPortal.java:1099)
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.handlers.ToolHandler.doTool(ToolHandler.java:163)
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.handlers.ToolHandler.doGet(ToolHandler.java:86)
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.handlers.ToolHandler.doPost(ToolHandler.java:63)
at org.sakaiproject.portal.charon.SkinnableCharonPortal.doPost(SkinnableCharonPortal.java:942)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:710)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
at org.sakaiproject.util.RequestFilter.doFilter(RequestFilter.java:592)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:215)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:174)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:127)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:108)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:151)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:874)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:665)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:528)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:81)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:689)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

user: admin

usage-session: 5d319002-e375-45b7-0016-0bc73eef52b6

time: Sep 26, 2007 16:25:49

I have not found any information on this problem in particular. Could anyone give me an insight on this?

Thanks,
Alan

Posted by Alan Hummel

2: Re: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
In response to 1 09/26/07 05:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Alan,

Could you have a look in LAMS logs and see if there are any errors there? The logs are in (jboss directory)/server/default/log. Have a look at the server.log and the lams.log. There may also be lams.log.<some number> - these are the older logs.

If there is nothing obvious there, could you try it again (so that the details are at the end of the logs) and zip up server.log, lams.log and localhost_access_log.<today's date>.log and post them here? The access_log will tell us if the call is getting to LAMS, and the lams.log will hopefully tell us if there is any problems on the LAMS side.

You will need to zip up the files and attach them rather than just pasting them into the forum.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
In response to 2 09/27/07 08:16 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,

Thank you for your answer!

Yes there are some exceptions that seems to appear at the logs end, however doesn't seems to match the "timestamp" from the runtime error, also, it seems the errors doesn't seem related to that problem in particular, but I could be wrong here.

I've ran the integration tool in order to generate the error message and then checking both logs afterwards, and the result is attached to the forum as a zip file as requested.

Thanks again in advance,
Alan

Posted by Alan Hummel

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: Re: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
In response to 3 09/27/07 09:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Alan,

We are having a look at the logs at the moment but nothing has struck us as a possibility yet.

I did notice an error occuring when you try to run Scribe. When you selected Chat & Scribe (Bate-papo e área de anotações) and ran it in a lesson, did you get a blank screen on the bottom part of the learner window?

There is an error in the translation file for Portuguese (Brazil). I have attached a new copy of the file. To install it on your server, copy the file to
(jboss)/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-dictionary.jar/org/lamsfoundation/lams/tool/scribe
and overwrite the existing file. It must be called ApplicationResources_pt_BR.properties.

Either that or edit the existing file and find the entry "{0] de {1} concorda" and change it to "{0} de {1} concorda". That is replace the ] with a }.

Am I correct in my guess that you are running Portuguese? How have you set it up - do you have a PC running Portuguese? Do you have your browser set up for Portuguese? Did you configure Sakai for Portuguese? Did you set up LAMS to use Portuguese (Brazil) as the default language?

Could we also get a copy of your recent Sakai log and the LAMS log "localhost_access_log.<date>" for when the problem occurred?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
In response to 4 09/28/07 03:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,

First, yes we're running LAMS on Brazilian Portuguese language (installed as default language), we could also run in English without a problem, if necessary. Sakai on the other hand is set to English.

Thanks for the patch, we did apply on both our production and test servers. Our testers did report the LAMS chat was non-responsive when we activated it from the Author tool (our particular integration issue prevents us from testing beyond this point, except perhaps from LAMS website directly), the Scribe tool was not used so far.

I'm putting the requested logs as attachment on the forum. I've created a sakai and a lams folder on the zip file, and like last time I've ran the integration tool in order to generate the error message.

Thanks for taking some of your time on this.

Gratefully,
Alan

Posted by Alan Hummel

Attachments:
6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sakai 2.4 and Lams 2.0.3 integration issue
In response to 5 10/25/07 10:58 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Alan,

Sorry for the late reply.  It would be helpful if you could enable all logging and repost the tomcat logs.

You can set the logging level in the sakai.properties file by adding the following lines.

log.config.count=1
log.config.1 = ALL.org.lamsfoundation.lams

Thanks
Anthony

Posted by Anthony Sukkar

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum