Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)

You may request notification for Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?).
Search: 

1: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
12/28/07 01:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have an activity which never completes exporting a learning portfolio.

There are several learners. A learner who has not completed all the steps exports quickly.

A learner who has completed all steps never finishes the export. I waited over an hour and a file was never downloaded. I checked the tomcat status for jboss and it showed the request to portfolioExport was still being processed. I have debug turned on in the log and I don't see any activity in the lams.log at all.

Any suggestions where to look?

Posted by Dave Bauer

2: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 1 12/28/07 05:38 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Eeek.

It sounds like one of the tools has a bug in it.

For learners - it only does the pages for the activities that the learner has completed. So I suspect the problem activity is one of the ones not completed.

Could you try doing the export for that learner again (you can do it via monitor, and click the learner's export portfolio button on the progress tab). Then grab a copy of the lams.log, server.log and the access log. The access log should tell me which tool is at fault.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 2 01/17/08 03:28 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
0.0.0.0 - xxxxxx_000000 [17/Jan/2008:15:46:52 -0500] "GET /lams/tool/larsrc11/export
Portfolio?mode=learner&userID=00&toolSessionID=000&directoryName=lamstmp_1200602810298_ex
port/Activity237 HTTP/1.1" 200 28

Its stuck at that request for 8 minutes now.

There also seems to be a delay when the learner completes the activity, possibly related?

I don't have a URL for that yet.

Posted by Dave Bauer

4: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 3 01/17/08 03:33 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It finished and I was able to download after 10 mins or so.

I think if you click more than once, or try to export more than one at a time, the time to download will increase and it could appear it never finishes (before you get fed up and do someting else.)

Posted by Dave Bauer

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 4 01/17/08 04:22 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Checking the progress on an indivudal item in the sequence (double click on blue circle, for example) takes about 2 minutes for a multiple choice item. These appear to be the ones that also are slow exporting to portfolio.

Posted by Dave Bauer

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 5 01/17/08 04:23 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Opening the Multiple choice activity for editing in the authoring environment is also very slow.

Posted by Dave Bauer

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitoring -> Export Portfolio slow (neverending?)
In response to 6 01/17/08 04:50 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dave,

Multiple choice is not the fastest of tools. We have made some performance changes to it that will be released in LAMS 2.1.

Still, the times you are reporting are still longer than I would expect. Double check that the LAMS logging is not in DEBUG mode - if you find your lams.log in <jboss>/server/default/log the entries should only say "INFO", "ERROR" or "WARN", no "DEBUG"s. If there are DEBUG statements, then we need to make a change to your log4j.xml file. That can make a noticeable difference to the speed of the server.

If you could attach or email me your current lams.log and maybe a couple of old lams.logs, I can check to see if there is anything obvious in the logs pointing to another problem.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum