Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle

You may request notification for Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle.
Search: 

1: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
02/20/08 07:34 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I have a Moodle 1.8.2 and LAMS 2 integration. I created a sequence from within Moodle and started the lesson. My students logged in and were able to view the sequence without any problems.

Later in the day I tried to open the sequence for editing. I tried to create a copy of the sequence so I could update it. I was not able to do that because it said it was read only.

I am confused because I thought that was how I am supposed to edit a sequence that is already running. Why could I not make a copy?

The second problem created by this is that now I cannot Monitor the lesson from within Moodle. It tells me that it is unavailable because I am editing it.

What is the cause of this?

Posted by Rod Spears

2: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 1 02/20/08 07:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

How did you try to edit the sequence? The correct way to edit a running sequence is to go into Monitor, go the to Sequence tab and click the Live Edit button. If you do it this way, it should not complain that the sequence is read only.

When you click on the Live Edit mode it will check you really want to do a Live Edit, and if you select OK then it opens up a cut down version of authoring. When you are finished making your changes, click the "Apply Changes" button and it should save the changes and take you back to normal monitoring.

If you just close the window, then next time you do into monitoring it will say something like "Hi <name>, you haven't finished editing <name>. Click continue to proceed." Then if you click continue it will take you into the Live Edit screen to do your changes.

But if you log in as a different user and try to go into monitoring, then it will say "Sorry, <name> is currently being edited by <name>" and you won't be able to do much.

It sounds like you have got into Live Edit mode somehow or you wouldn't get the editing message. Are you going back in as the same user?

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 2 02/20/08 07:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Forgot to attach the picture!

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Attachments:
4: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 3 02/21/08 01:23 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
It is hard to remember EXACTLY what I did to get to that point.

I know that I started out logged into Moodle. I opened the monitor and then tried the Live Edit option.

However, when I tried to save it the program told me that I could not save it because it was 'read only'.

Then I think the next step was that I logged into my LAMS site and tried to make a copy of the sequence that way, but I had the same problem.

Then when I went back to Moodle, I could not open it in the monitor.

Posted by Rod Spears

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 4 02/21/08 05:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

> Then when I went back to Moodle, I could not open it in the monitor.

What did it say? Something along the lines of "Hi Rod Spears, you haven't finished editing XYZ

Click Continue to proceed"

?

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

6: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 5 02/21/08 06:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Sorry, the project is being edited by Rod Spears.

Unavailable, try again.

Try Availability-button

When I click that button I keep getting this message.

I am Rod Spears and I am currently logged in to Moodle when this is happening, so I know that I am not currently editing this project.

Posted by Rod Spears

7: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 6 02/22/08 12:03 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Rod,

I think I know what the problem is. I'm putting together a package to fix this. Almost done with it, just need to test it.

Thanks,

Ernie

8: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 6 02/22/08 12:37 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Rod,

OK, I think the attached patch will fix the problem you are having with the integration. (You need to come to the forum to download the attachment).

Just unzip the file and follow these instructions:

1. Stop LAMS
2. Backup LAMS and LAMS database
3. Copy author.jsp to jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-central.war/
4. Copy openUrls.js to jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deploy/lams.ear/lams-central.war/includes/javascript/
5. Copy lams-monitoring.war to jboss-4.0.2/server/default/deplay/lams.ear/
6. Delete everything within the jboss-4.0.2/server/default/tmp/ (but do not remove the directory)
7. Delete everything within the jboss-4.0.2/server/default/work/ (but do not remove the directory)
8. Restart LAMS

This should allow you to see the "Live Edit" function. Let us know otherwise.

Attachments:
9: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Moodle/LAMS cannot open monitor in Moodle
In response to 8 02/22/08 01:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thank you Ernie. I will download the patch and keep it until my students have completed their current lesson.

After this problem occurred I created a new sequence and started a lesson using that sequence.

I don't want to make any changes on my LAMS installation until they all finish, just in case I make some type of error while doing this.

I do plan to use the patch to avoid this happening again.

Posted by Rod Spears

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum