Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: A virus prevents me from start lams

You may request notification for A virus prevents me from start lams.
Search: 

1: A virus prevents me from start lams
03/29/08 11:36 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hello, I have a computer, where I´ve installed lams 2.0.4, using wampserver 5, java, wildfire. Everything had functioned normally.
However, after the last time that my students used to lams, lams stopped. At want to start lams, appeared a message: "MySQL doess not appear to be running - please make sure it is running before starting LAMS". Moreover detected the presence of a virus: "Trojan.Win32.Agent.ixj". It was not possible to avoid the virus. In addition, MySQL appears to function normally..
As none of my anti-virus were able to remove the virus, I decided to format the computer.
Is there any way to recover my lists of students, their progress within an activity, the responses obtained when using multiple choice questions?
Such information is very important and I would not like to lose it. Ideally, if possible to retrieve it and then integrate lams once it has re-installed everything. Is it possible?
Thank you and I hope your help.
Erick

Posted by Erick Araya

2: Re: A virus prevents me from start lams
In response to 1 03/30/08 12:10 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Erick,

If MySQL runs okay, then you should dump the MySQL database for LAMS. It is usually called "lams2". Then when you reinstall LAMS, you can restore the database and LAMS should look like it did before.

There are also some places where uploaded files are kept - you will want to back them up and copy to the newly formatted server otherwise you may get some strange errors when you try to upload files to LAMS, or look at lessons that had uploaded files.

I assume you are using Windows.

If you think the virus hasn't not got into LAMS itself, you can use the Windows LAMS backup utility. You will need to do a new install of LAMS to get the Windows Registry set up properly after reinstalling Windows, even if you copy all of c:\lams back to the PC.

If you think the virus is in LAMS itself, then you need to backup the database (instructions are on the manual instructions page), along with the "jboss-4.0.2\server\default\deploy\lams.ear\lams-www.war" directory and the "repository" directory in your LAMS directory (normally c:\lams). See manual instructions for more details.

Then on the reformatted PC you should reinstall LAMS and copy back the two directories and restore the database.
If you do this, then you do NOT need to do the Windows Registry fix mentioned on the manual instructions page.

If you want to keep the old messages in the chat rooms then you will also need to backup Wildfire. If you are using the default Wildfire setup with an embedded database, then you can just backup the Wildfire directory (normally found in Program Files).

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

3: Re: A virus prevents me from start lams
In response to 1 03/31/08 11:37 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thank you. Fortunately, I managed to control the virus and lams now working normally. The technical information you delivered is very important (that I did not know ...) to learn not only how to deal with critical situations, but as usual means of support.
Thanks again.
Erick

Posted by Erick Araya

4: Re: Re: A virus prevents me from start lams
In response to 3 04/01/08 01:49 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Glad to hear it is sorted.

Your problems have been a reminder to all of us (including me) that we should be backing up our important stuff before disaster strikes!

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum