Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Lams Moodle Integration Problem

You may request notification for Lams Moodle Integration Problem.
Search: 

1: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
01/12/06 03:52 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

I have done a fresh install.
Moodle was working fine.
Theerafter I have done an install of LAMS the Same also installed well and is up and running.

After the second (LAMS) Install I tried to start up Moodle services the database started but the Apache application is not working. The erro I get is as under
" MySql: Apache cannot be runned: another webserver is using the Web..."

After connecting to the localhost/moodle login
I get the error as under
"Error: Database connection failed.

It is possible that the database is overloaded or otherwise not running properly.

The site administrator should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php"

On recall I believ I put the tomcat port as 8080 and not 80.

Could you guide me how to resolve this error without going through the process allover again.

Await your help and suggestions.

Garry

Posted by Bhupinder Singh

2: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/12/06 06:25 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
>After the second (LAMS) Install I tried to start up Moodle services the database started but the Apache application is not working. The erro I get is as under
>" MySql: Apache cannot be runned: another webserver is using the Web..."

Do you mean the Apache web server is not working, or that MySQL is not working? I assume it is MySQL, since this

>After connecting to the localhost/moodle login

implies the web server has started... just so we're clear.

If you're concerned about port conflicts, use 'netstat -an' at the command prompt, and look for the ports that are 'LISTENING' at that very moment.

You can check the output of the above command for the port 3306, which is MySQL's port.

If 3306 is there, try to connect to it - type 'mysql -u root -p', and then enter your root password. You may have to change directory to your MySQL installation dir, e.g. 'C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\bin' (note the \bin at the end), before typing 'mysql' at the command line.

At the mysql command prompt, type 'show databases', and see if the moodle one shows up.

These steps should get you started troubleshooting; if there is a problem at some point, it may help you rectify the problem you are having with Moodle/MySQL.

Good luck,

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

3: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/12/06 09:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

Thanks for the reply.

It appears there was a port conflict I did a reinstall with the LAMS running on Port 8070.

All three are up and running.

Can you advise whether the integration (Moodle-LAMS) is an issue and whether the port manually selected after identification will not create any problem.

Though I believe there should be no issues just a confirm before with the integration.

Are the integration instructions on the sight current and ready ro be used,

I was reading somewhere that there is no requirement of the code during integration Is my understanding correct or wrong and SHall be glad if you could guide me to the right location of the instructions for integration.

Regards

Garry

4: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/12/06 10:21 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Good stuff!

> Can you advise whether the integration (Moodle-LAMS) is an issue and whether the port manually selected after identification will not create any problem.

As long as you remember that you've specified a custom port number while you setup the integration, there shouldn't be any problem. If you do encounter issues, feel free to post here.

> Are the integration instructions on the sight current and ready ro be used,

Yep, current instructions are here http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/lamsintegration/, and correct as far as I know.

> I was reading somewhere that there is no requirement of the code during integration

Not sure what this means, but full instructions are in the link I posted above. You will need to download the LAMS module for Moodle here: http://lamsfoundation.org/integration/moodle/ - no coding or compiling required, just need to copy them into the right places.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

5: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/13/06 04:38 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Jun,

Thanks for the info It is a great help.

AT WHAT STAGE ARE THE LAMS TABLES CREATED.

What could be the possible reason if the same are not generated at the time of installation.

I have tried a reinstall and the tables are not generated I am not clear what was the cause and what is the best way out from this situation.

Regards

Garry

6: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/15/06 05:42 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
During setup, after all the configuration details have been entered and the installer is doing its thing, the installer will work away - login to mysql, create a user, create database, copy files... if there is a problem logging into mysql, the installer will inform you when it tests the parameters you have entered.

Are you sure you're checking the right instance of MySQL?

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

7: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 1 01/16/06 03:13 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for the info Jun.

I have compelted the integration and I can call up the application from within Moodle. They appear to work well on the face of it.

Stiil got to use the same to see if I have a good grip on the application and its working.

CAN YOU ADVISE A FEW SITES WHERE THE APPLICATION IS WORKING AS STAND ALONE AND ALSO IN CONJUNCTION WITH MOODLE.

Though not a problem I want to suggest that the installation prerequisite that a root password is mandatory should be done away with. This should be an optional requirement.

Regards

Garry

8: Re: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 7 01/16/06 02:41 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Garry,

> Though not a problem I want to suggest that the installation
> prerequisite that a root password is mandatory should be
> done away with. This should be an optional requirement.

Is the root password you are refering to for MySQL?

If so, I think having no password for MySQL is a very big security hazard (specially on Windows systems). But don't take my word for it, just run a search on MySQL security tips and you'll see that setting a good password for MySQL root is at the top of the list.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

9: Re: Re: Lams Moodle Integration Problem
In response to 7 01/16/06 02:45 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
> CAN YOU ADVISE A FEW SITES WHERE THE APPLICATION IS WORKING
> AS STAND ALONE AND ALSO IN CONJUNCTION WITH MOODLE.

We have here a few sites that are using the same LAMS instance for several integration sites. For instance, if you try our LAMS/.LRN integration demo server, you will see that it uses the same LAMS instance as the LAMS/Moodle one.

A LAMS server can handle one or many integrations plus work as standalone LAMS as well.

As long as each external system (Moodle, Sakai, Blackboard, WebCT, .LRN, etc) has its own LAMS Organization (see here for further details).

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS