Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Importing new students to groups using LAMS_Roles_template--an exception

You may request notification for Importing new students to groups using LAMS_Roles_template--an exception.
Search: 

1: Importing new students to groups using LAMS_Roles_template--an exception
02/24/12 02:52 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Dear Ernie

I recently noticed that when we tried to import new students into an existing group using LAMS_Roles_template it worked perfectly!

BUT, it seems the system does not give an error message to indicate that student accounts have been previously disabled.

As a result the 'previously disabled' student appears in the chosen group, but does not appear in system admin 'find users' and so noone can log in to the account.

Maybe an error message is also required here.

Regards

Chris

Posted by Chris Alexander

2: Re: Importing new students to groups using LAMS_Roles_template--an exception
In response to 1 02/27/12 01:36 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi Chris,

Help me here to see if I understand this correctly:

You were adding students in to an existing group using the spreadsheet. These students already existed within LAMS but they were disabled?

Recently I experience something similar with disabled students. All the sudden I wasn't able to see them at all.

So perhaps what we need to do is make sure that disable students are shown when you are trying to find them (sysadmin) but when they appear in the list, make them a bit obvious that they are disabled. Would that do or ..?

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: Re: Importing new students to groups using LAMS_Roles_template--an exception
In response to 2 02/27/12 02:23 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
I think the issue is, normally when new student accounts are created (ie not imported) LAMS checks whether a student already exits or has been deleted and so does not allow the same accounts to be re-created and students to be added to groups if they have been disabled.

But we found an exception ie we group imported students that we thought were new but one of them had been previously disabled and we intially could not understand why we couldn't find the account or log into the account as sysadmin (also the student couldn't log in), but we could see the student in the group!

After further checking we realised the student had been disabled a year ago!

So LAMS allows previously-disabled students to be group imported into a group but does not give a warning sign to sysadmin that the account had been previously disbled.

Posted by Chris Alexander

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum