Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Sequence storage LAMS V2 vs LAMS V1

Search: 

7: Re: Re: Sequence storage LAMS V2 vs LAMS V1
In response to 2 03/23/07 07:50 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,

Have just had a play on my laptop version and would like to just confirm a couple of things.

I created a new group called Staff Storage Area. This will act like the old 'public' area.

It looks like I do the following: Manage Groups | Add Users |Assign Roles.

Do staff only need Author roles for this group?

I was thinking of doing this using an Excel spreadsheet based on the roles template. I remember though that there is some caveat about this approach not being cumulative. We have about 80 teachers - is it safer to add the roles manually?

Maybe this is not the place for this question but here goes. I know that there are training courses available but they seem to be mainly on constructing sequences. I think I have a grasp of the basics of authoring. I look after LAMS in between my other duties and getting uninterrupted time to come to grips with LAMS is problematic. What I feel I need is e.g. a one day course combining some of the advanced authoring course and administering the system i.e. overall concept; user management etc.
Is such a course available? How much?

Greg

Posted by Greg Jones

8: Re: Re: Re: Sequence storage LAMS V2 vs LAMS V1
In response to 7 03/25/07 10:44 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Hi, just chipping in about the roles spreadsheet...

> Do staff only need Author roles for this group?

Yep.

> I was thinking of doing this using an Excel spreadsheet based on the roles template. I remember though that there is some caveat about this approach not being cumulative. We have about 80 teachers - is it safer to add the roles manually?

Is the caveat you're referring to the same as the warning at the bottom of this page - http://wiki.lamsfoundation.org/display/lamsdocs/Import+Users - ? i.e. that the roles spreadsheet *sets* roles, it doesn't add them...? If so, it should be OK, since you're adding users to a new group, not overwriting their roles in an existing group.

Posted by Jun-Dir Liew

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum