Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: Re: Re: Re: Author problem

Search: 

4: Re: Re: Re: Author problem
In response to 3 04/29/07 09:15 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Glad to hear the student from Friday is now OK. You don't know how much I hate the thought of people losing work due to something going wrong in LAMS.

For the student who can't find their design - if they have got a popup message saying it is saved, then it is extremely unlikely that it isn't saved. The message only appears once the server has told the authoring client (ie the Flash window you are working in) that the design is saved. If the client doesn't get the "saved okay" message from the server then you won't get the popup.

Can I suggest that she checks the other folders in her workspace? As an author she will have write access to other folders and she could have saved it on another folder by accident. And she was sure she was logged in as herself? If she was having problems, could someone else have logged in for her?

If your technical staff want to check the location of all sequences that belong to a user then this code will do it. Now, this is unsupported code, may not work in the future, blah, blah, blah. Replace "test1" with the login name of the user.

select l.title Sequence, ct.description CopyType,
w.name WorkspaceFolder
from
lams_user as u,
lams_copy_type as ct,
lams_learning_design as l
left join lams_workspace_folder as w
on l.workspace_folder_id = w.workspace_folder_id
where u.login = "test1"
and l.user_id = u.user_id
and l.copy_type_id = ct.copy_type_id

You will get output like this:

+----------+----------+------------------------+
| Sequence | CopyType | WorkspaceFolder        |
| Seq1    | NONE    | One Test              |
| Seq1    | LESSON  | Lesson Sequence Folder |
| Seq1    | PREVIEW  | NULL                  |

CopyType NONE indicates it was created in authoring. This is a "normal" sequence. The LESSON type is the copy of a sequence that is created when a lesson was started. The PREVIEW type is the copy of a sequence that is created when you do Preview in authoring - the PREVIEW ones are hidden from the user so they don't have a Workspace Folder, but they are in the database.

Only the PREVIEW sequences should have NULL as a WorkspaceFolder column. If there are NONE sequences with no WorkspaceFolder then we have a bug in LAMS.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

5: Re: Re: Re: Re: Author problem
In response to 4 04/30/07 01:54 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks Fiona, I will try this code tomorrow. I will check on the second student to see if he is still having problems and if so I will try to replicate the problem after invoking the debug mode.

It has only happened to 2 out of nearly 60 students so it is probably something associated with the users rather than LAMS.

Greg

Posted by Greg Jones

6: Search for sequence details
In response to 4 04/30/07 08:57 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,
Attached is screenshot of results from running your code.
It shows 2 sequences and 1 preview.
The 2 sequences "Blakes sequence" and "Test sequence" are one that I created on my PC when I was logged in as the student. I have had no difficulty saving and locating these sequences.
The student can also see these sequences.
I will try to find the student in class using his own laptop to see exactly whta happens when he tries to save a sequence.

Greg

Posted by Greg Jones

7: Re: Search for sequence details
In response to 6 04/30/07 10:48 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Fiona,
Just tracked down student and had him login on his laptop. We were able to save and then open a sequence.
I think the problem was an id10t error. Case closed as far as I am concerned

Thanks for all your assistance.

Greg

Posted by Greg Jones

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum