Forum LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!

You may request notification for LAMS 2.0.3 is out!.
Search: 

1: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
06/04/07 02:48 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
G'day fellas,

LAMS 2.0.3 is officially out!

Live Edit and Login As are two of the features we have already mentioned for this release. However, there are lots of bug fixed and improvements to the tools, core, progress engine and integrations.

There are also improvements to the Windows installer/upgrader that now bundles a Back-up and a recovery features (in case you want to revert to a previous backup or version).

In addition, Luke has added support for LAMS in separated servers (ie: MySQL in one box and JBoss in another). Usually this is done in environments that need to split the load due to heavy usage (see further info). If you currently run LAMS 2.0.2 in this setup, then the new Windows installer/upgrader can upgrade the application and the database remotely.

Our next release is LAMS 2.1 which will introduce Branching, Sequence activities within Optionals, Student selected Groupings and lots of other cool features.

Unix-like installers will be available shortly.

As always, any problems or help, just post here.

Thank you,

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

2: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 1 06/04/07 03:12 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
PS: And of course, you can download it from the Downloads page in the Wiki :-)

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

3: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 1 06/04/07 02:35 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Yay! This is gonna be fun! I can fix the sequenceI'm running now!

Cheers all!

Posted by Matthew Topp

4: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 1 06/04/07 03:18 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
When is an activity read only and when is it free to modify? I can't change any of the activities in my sequence that I want to change. Is this because I have students who have jumped ahead? Or should I update something else as well as my LAMS installation?

Cheers,

Matt.

Posted by Matthew Topp

5: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 4 06/04/07 06:00 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Matt,

For all new lessons created since you have upgraded, an activity will be read only in Live Edit once a student has reached the activity.

But (and this is the big but)....

You cannot change any activities in lessons that existed before the 2.0.3 upgrade using Live Edit. For any lessons that exist when the upgrade is done, all of their activities will be marked as locked. You can add new activities at the end of the existing lessons but not change the activities.

This only affects lessons that exist when the upgrade is done - any new lessons are not affected.

Why? We added a new flag to mark the activity as read for Live Edit. Rather than risk getting the update to current activities wrong in some obsure case (and causing a lesson to corrupt to the point where it was unusable) we went for a simple update - all existing activities were set to read only.

So sorry, that existing lesson - you can add new activities to the end but you can't add or remove any within the existing sequence.

If it is just the just the text that appears on the screen you want to change, you may be able to change the content by going to the sequence tab (in monitoring) and double click on the activity. That will bring up a new tabbed window and one of the tabs will be edit. Depending on what the learners have done in that activity, the tool may let you edit the content.

Depending on how big a change you want to make and how many learners you have, you could create what you want at the end of the sequence then in the sequence tab in monitoring force complete all the learners up to the "new" part of the sequence, skipping all the activities that they would have done. To force complete a student you grab the little icon for the student and drag it to the next activity you want them to do. If there are any stop gates or groupings in the sequence then LAMS may "stop" the force complete at that point as LAMS will not allow a student to go past a closed gate, or go past a grouping that is waiting for teacher intervention. You would have to do it for each student.

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

6: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 1 06/04/07 07:51 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Thanks for that Fiona,

so does that meanthat if I use the same sequence again in the future, it will be available to edit inthat future sequence, or do I need to remake the whole sequence in 2.0.3?

Posted by Matthew Topp

7: Re: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 6 06/04/07 07:53 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Good news for you this time. It is only the current lesson that is affected - if you use the same sequence again in the future you will be able to use live edit and change things in the new lesson.

Remaking the whole sequence would be :-<

Fiona

Posted by Fiona Malikoff

8: Re: LAMS 2.0.3 is out!
In response to 1 06/15/07 01:00 AM
[ Reply | Forward ]
CHEER & CONGRATULATION!!

2007.6.15.16:03

Jong-Ki Lee, South Korea

Posted by Jong-Ki Lee

Reply to first post on this page
Back to LAMS for Tech-Heads - General Forum