Forum Problems Installing LAMS: Re: Lams start-up log

Search: 

6: Re: Lams start-up log
In response to 5 10/13/05 05:47 PM
[ Reply | Forward ]
Marc, Steward,

I had a closer look at your logs and I think I know why your LAMS instance is not working. The answer is MySQL

Althought MySQL was running when you installed LAMS, LAMS was never able to create a database.

If you have a look at the installer.log file in the /usr/local/lams-1.0.2 folder, you'll see that when LAMS attempts to create the database it can't run the initialization scripts. Marc, this is from your installer.log file you sent me:

_prep_db:
[echo] This creates the database and sets username/password
[echo] mysql.classpath=/usr/local/lams-1.0.2/lib/mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar
[echo] url=jdbc:mysql://localhost/mysql
[echo] userid=root
[echo] password=

Then a bit further down, then LAMS tries to add the initialization data into the DB you get:

import-db:
[echo] it is unix
[echo] jboss home is: /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/jboss
[echo] LAMS home is: /usr/local/lams-1.0.2

The correct log for a successful db creation should be like:

_prep_db:
[echo] This creates the database and sets username/password
[echo] mysql.classpath=/usr/local/lams-1.0.2/lib/mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar
[echo] url=jdbc:mysql://localhost/mysql
[echo] userid=root
[echo] password=
[sql] Executing commands
[sql] 18 of 18 SQL statements executed successfully

(some more lines here)

import-db:
[echo] it is unix
[echo] jboss home is: /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/jboss
[echo] LAMS home is: /usr/local/lams-1.0.2

_lams_config:
[copy] Copying 1 file to /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/sql

_import_db:
[sql] Executing file: /usr/local/lams-1.0.2/sql/temp-import.sql
[sql] 647 of 647 SQL statements executed successfully

BUILD SUCCESSFUL

So, in plain English this means that LAMS wasn't able to create its database and datamodel in MySQL. Most likely that's because LAMS assumes that the MySQL root password is blank (as it is set by default after the MySQL installation).

Now if the password is not blank, then LAMS can't even access the db as I believe it has been the case.

Why does LAMS assumes by default the MySQL root is blank? Well, when I put together this installer my target audience was my grandma that loves Macs but has no idea what a root password for MySQL is. And since on the installation instructions for Mac OS X we go thru the standard MySQL installation, then the need to mention this was seen as adding unnecessary complexity that might not be needed in most cases.

Nevertheless, you can still get LAMS to work if you have changed the MySQL root password. It's a bit more fiddily, but given that you have changed the password of MySQL, this shouldn't be a problem.

Steward, Marc, can you confirm with me if you have changed the MySQL root password to other thing than blank?

I have put the Mac OSX installation instructions up on the web now (http://lamsfoundation.org/downloads/macosx/). If you have a look at the end part of the "Ensure MySQL is setup to run at startup" section, you'll have there the commands to check whether the root password has changed.

Please let me know how you go.

Ernie

Posted by Ernie Ghiglione

Reply to first post on this page
Back to Problems Installing LAMS